72. adjustment protocol

Our laboured breaths filled the space around us all we all shared nervous looks. Angry roars from outside caused all of us to shrink away from the doors. 

The mobs were out for our heads. 

"We should find Jordan." I announced, desperate to find the last of our friends and get out of here. 

Emori reached out, lightly catching my arm before I could move. "Avery, where's Greer?"

My chest tightened as I pushed the lump down in my throat. My eyes flitted downward, shaking my head slightly. I couldn't say it out loud, because if I did it would make it real. 

When I finally looked up, Murphy and Emori were watching me with pitiful looks. "Avery-"

I cleared my throat, pushing my shoulders back. "Let's split up." I suggested, instantly changing the subject. "Half of us take this hall, the others take the one down there."

No one wanted to argue, nor did they find any reason to. Silently, we broke off into smaller groups and headed for the hallways in search of our missing link. 

I was joined by Bellamy and Murphy who supported a still loopy Miller, meanwhile Emori, Echo, Octavia and Gabriel split off down the other hallway. 

Without hesitation, I began throwing open doors, ready to defend against whoever was in there. 

The first four doors led to empty rooms, like the rest of the palace they were abandoned. Murphy and Bellamy were silent as they followed behind me, Miller lolling in between the two of them. 

When we reached the fifth door, I was met with a locked door-something we had not run into yet. "He must be in here." I announced, turning to the boys. "We need to get in here."

Murphy looked over his shoulder toward where the others were working. "Hey! We've got something!"

"I need something to pick the lock." I murmured, tugging on the doors to no avail. 

"Here." Octavia breathed, handing me a blade as the group of them joined us. 

I gave her a small smile before taking it, quickly making work of the lock. I was no Miller, but I managed fine enough. 

Breaking the lock and pushing open the door, I turned to the group behind me. "He's here."

Jordan was here, but he didn't seem entirely okay. He sat atop a table, his shirt removed and his eyes blank as he stared forward, not even looking toward us as we entered. 

"That's everyone." Murphy muttered as he and Bellamy dragged Miller into the room. "Mission accomplished."

"Jordan, we're here." Bellamy assured as the two of us approached him. "You're safe."

My eyes slowly scanned the room, searching for whatever had caused him to fall into this catatonic state. 

"Jord?" I whispered, analyzing his face. 

"He's in too deep to respond." Gabriel explained, turning away from where he had just helped lay Miller down.

"Too deep in what?" I questioned, slowly circling the table Jordan sat on. 

Murphy let out a small breath. "Adjustment protocol?"

Gabriel nodded. "Uh-huh."

As Bellamy and I watched Jordan with strained faces, Echo picked up the cup that was sitting on a small tray. "The blood of Sanctum is real blood?"

"Only partially." Gabriel explained. "Simone predicted that the bloodletting would deepen the religious experience. But the psychoactive component is pure Red Sun toxin."