27. sat-star one

I stood out side of the office, awaiting Bellamy who was currently speaking to Octavia over the radio, letting her know what was going on...and saying goodbye.

This was it. We were going to leave Earth and we would not see the rest of our friends for the next five years. I was terrified.

I knew we didn't have much time before the radio towers were destroyed by the Death Wave. I had asked Bellamy to say goodbye to Octavia for me, knowing I likely wouldn't get the chance on my own.

The sound of someone walking up the stairs behind me caused my to tear my eyes away from where they had been focused on Bellamy through the glass.

It was Clarke who had come up and join me, she waiting for a chance to say goodbye to her mother.

She gave me a tentative smile as she stopped beside me. "Did he get through to her?" she asked, nodding toward Bellamy.

"Yeah." I answered with a nod. "I think so."

An uncomfortable silence settled between the two of us, neither too sure how the other was feeling toward them.

I broke the silence first. "I'm sorry, Clarke." I whispered, letting out a deep breath.

She shook her head, brows furrowed in confusion. "Avery, you don't need to be sorry."

"Yes." I answered. "I do. I shouldn't have been so harsh. What you did hurt me, but I know why you did it. I don't want to spend whatever time we have left being mad at you."

A grateful smile spread across her face as she pulled me into a hug. "Just so you know, you are valuable to me, and you are my friend."

I gave her a soft smile as I nodded. "You should get in there and talk to your mom."

Clarke's eyes drifted toward where Bellamy was. "You don't want to speak to Octavia?"

"We're going to lose connection soon." I answered sadly. "If we're still connected after you're done speaking with your mom, then I will. But for now, you go."

"Thank you, Avery." she breathed, giving my arm a quick squeeze as she passed.

I watched her enter the office, and felt some relief that we had made amends. I still wasn't completely okay with what she did to me, but now wasn't the time for grudges.

"Avery!" Raven yelled from the lower level. "Get down here!"

I tore my eyes away from Bellamy and Clarke, quickly making my way down to where the rest of the group was.

"What's going on?" I questioned, worry creeping into my voice.

They were all gathered around the large monitor, no one said anything, just looked toward it with sad eyes.

It felt like my heart was in my throat as I focused my eyes on the screen. It was showing Polis which was currently being ravaged by a vicious storm of inferno and wind. Praimfaya was here.

"Oh my God." I whispered, my chest feeling tight as I watched the slow destruction of the city. I prayed that the bunker was secure, that everyone down there was safe.

"Where's Bellamy and Clarke?" Murphy asked, tearing his eyes away from the screen.

I nodded toward the office. "They were radioing the bunker...but my guess is that connection is lost."

"Bellamy! Clarke!" he called, turning toward the upper level. "Get down here!"

The two of them soon appeared, making their way toward us. As they joined, I noted the tear stains on Clarke's face...it was likely she didn't get to speak to her mom.