95. those who remain

Dawn broke through the once dark sky, casting a light haze. 

I should have been asleep, but my eyes were wide open. Everyone else slumbered around me- that was painfully obvious from the loud snoring coming from my left. 

It had been four months since the rest of the human race Transcended. Four months we had been on Earth. 

Some days were better than others. Slowly, we were running out of food- not having much luck in the hunting department. We had even tried fishing over the past few days, but seemed to be met with no success. 

I knew that things would turn around- they always did. If we could survive as a bunch of teenagers sent down from space, surely we could survive this. 

But something had been bothering me the last couple days. I wasn't even sure exactly what it was. I was going to blame the hunger. 

Rolling over with a huff, I pulled away from Bellamy who had his arm wrapped around me. "Who the hell is snoring?" I demanded, my voice cutting through the heavy silence that was brought on by slumber. 

"Murphy." The voice came from Raven who was laying on the other side of Bellamy, her voice groggy and half asleep. 

We had created one large shelter when we first arrived here, more comfortable closer together than apart. But currently, I was regretting that decision. Our own houses were to be built, but that fell under food on the list. 

"Someone shut him up." I pleaded, feeling Bellamy stir slightly at the sound of my voice. 

A cough came from the other end of the shelter. "You're closest." Levitt muttered, sounding like he was still partly asleep like Raven. 

Rolling my eyes, I turned over harshly and poked at Murphy who was directly next to me. His snores faltered for a moment, but them resumed once again. 

Muttering to myself, I pulled my arm back and hit him this time, my fist coming into contact with his upper arm. 

He jolted up, eyes wide and angry. "What the hell?"

I glared at him. "You were snoring again."

Emori stirred from next to him, rolling away from the noise and she pulled Murphy's makeshift pillow away to use for herself. 

He shot her a dirty look before shooting me one. "Just because you can't sleep, doesn't mean you have to take it out on everyone else."

Scoffing, I laid back down. "I can't sleep because of your snoring, idiot."

Bellamy mumbled something from next to me, wrapping his arms around me once again and pulling me close. "Just go back to sleep."

A groan fell from my lips as I pushed him away from me, too frustrated to deal with any of this right now. 

I untangled myself from his grasp, standing up and pulling my jacket on to shield me from the cool morning air. 

"Good job, Murphy. Now you've done it." Octavia declared. "Aves without her beauty rest is a sight that should scare us all."

As I walked away from the shelter, I shot her a dirty look. At least someone thought this was funny. 

Huffing in frustration, I grabbed the homemade fishing gear and headed for the water. Might as well make myself useful. 

Once away from Murphy's incessant snoring, the morning was actually peaceful. The water was so calm it looked almost completely still. Birds chirped in the trees as a gentle breeze blew through my hair.