57. one way or another

Safe to say our walk back to the transport ship was spent in virtual silence-all of us on edge, not only of what was lurking within the trees, but of each other. 

I still didn't fully trust these people from Sanctum, and the fact that they were armed while we weren't only made my trust fall even more. 

"We should be close." Kaylee announced, her voice low as we crept through the trees. 

Just as the words left her mouth, noise could be heard from further ahead. After closer analysis, I realized it sounded like a series of chants. 

"Death to primes! Death to primes!"

The words were repeated over and over again and the moment the chants reached us, one of the guards grabbed onto Kaylee. "We're too late."

"Like hell, we are." Kaylee snapped, trying to free herself from his grasp. "Let me go!"

The group of us looked around in confusion. Trying to figure out exactly where the chants were coming from, and who they were coming from. 

"Victor, Faye, and Daniel Prime are lost." The guard declared, not loosening his hold on her arm. "You're the priority. Abort the mission now." he yelled to the remaining guards

Bellamy's face fell in disbelief as he quickly approached the guard. "What are you talking about? Our people are there."

"It's fine. We don't need them. " I muttered, joining him in front of the guard. "Go." I ordered, reaching out and ripping the binoculars off from around his neck. "We'll bring her family home."

The guard didn't put up any argument at all, just gave me a small nod before running off after the rest of his group. 

Exhaling, I turned to Bellamy with a look of uncertainty as the chants continued. With each verse they seemed to be getting more and more amped up. 

Raven wore a similar expression to my own, meanwhile Octavia wore the same scowl she had been wearing for the past day.

"This should be fun." she muttered, aggressively strutting past us. 

Bellamy opened his mouth to say something to his sister, but my hand shot up to cover his mouth. "What did I say?" I challenged, looking to him with raised brows. 

Rolling his eyes, Bellamy pulled my hand away. "Fine." he agreed. "I won't say anything."

"Good." I praised, giving him a quick smile as I turned in the direction Octavia had gone. "Now let's go see what we're up against."

---

Night had fallen, which acted as both a curse and a blessing. Fortunately, it made it easier for us to blend it. But unfortunately, it also made it easier for whoever and whatever was out there to do the same. 

We had remained hidden behind the brush, but there was no telling what else was out there...maybe watching us.

Peering through the binoculars I had taken from the guard, I watched the group of people who had gathered around our ship. I could see someone laying on the ground of the entrance, and by the looks of it it was Diyoza. 

I wasn't sure who had woken her, but I didn't have time to worry about that right now. 

"Can you tell what they're saying?" Bellamy whispered from next to me. He hovered right near my ear, causing me to startle slightly when he spoke. 

"No." I answered, pulling the binoculars down to look at him. "But one of them is leaving, and she's taking the guns."

Bellamy shook his head as he squinted, trying to see them from a distance. "Why would they give up their advantage?"