06. the list

Bellamy, Clarke and Jaha returned by late evening that night, unfortunately with no good news. The fallout shelter had failed to be sealed properly, meaning thousands of bodies were enclosed inside it like a tomb. There was no way that it would protect us against radiation, even if we could clear it out. 

To make matters worse, all of the sick Grounders had passed away, even after Murphy stole a dose of Delactivene for the little girl. Well, all of them had succumbed to the ARS save for one...Luna. 

It seemed like she was our only stroke of good luck. While the radiation had made Luna sick like the others, she had overcome the symptoms rather than succumbing. The only factor that differed Luna from the others, was the fact that she was a Nighblood. 

Thus, a group including Abby, Raven, Miller and Murphy were currently headed to an island not far from Arkadia. It was on this island that a lab resided, one that Murphy and his girlfriend, Emori, had informed us about. Here, Abby and Raven were going to work to genetically modify Luna's blood so that all of us could somehow receive her blood without it killing us. 

If this worked, we wouldn't need a completely fortified Ark, and perhaps more of us, if not all, could survive. 

Bellamy had headed out early this morning with a team to hunt. No matter what happened with the Nightblood, we needed food for the next five years. The fact that our hunting teams were coming back with less and less worried us all. 

I stood out in the courtyard with Clarke, ensuring that everyone was sticking to their jobs. People had begun to slip in the past few days, not taking the situation as seriously as needed to be. 

Jasper Jordan was perfect example of that.

He stood by the edge of camp that overlooked the small lake that lay adjacent to Arkadia. A group including Monty and Harper hovered beside him, all of them giggling at the sight before them. 

As I approached, I could see what had them laughing so hard. 

In the middle of the lake, floating on a piece of the ship was none other than Jaha, seemingly just waking up from a deep slumber. 

"Hey, Jaha!" Jasper screamed over the hooting and hollering from where the group of us stood. "Looks like you got floated!"

"Keeping yourself busy, Mr. Jordan!" Jaha called, his voice carrying across the lake. 

Jasper grinned, "Oh, yeah! I'm living it up, every last day!"

"Do I want to know how you managed to do this without waking me up?" Jaha questioned, apprehension in his voice. 

"Probably not. But the effects are harmless, I promise. Kind of."

"All right!" Clarke announced, stopping at my side. "We've had our fun, let's get back to work."

I gave her a small smile, noticing she seemed as anxious as I did gave me very little solace. Bellamy and his hunting team should have been back by now. We both knew it, but neither Clarke or I wanted to be the first ones to voice our concerns.

"I'm going to head inside and do some more sorting and rationing." I told her, nodding my head toward the ship. It was one of the only jobs I was currently capable of. My gunshot wound still causing too much pain for me to be able to do much else. 

I usually helped out in Medbay, Abby and Jackson teaching me everything there was to know, but luckily it had been rather slow lately. This meant that I was on standby for if anyone got hurt while the two of them were at the island, leaving me time to continue with rationing. 

Clarke gave me a small nod, looking briefly toward the front gates. "I'll come get you the minute I hear anything from Bellamy."

I lightly placed my hand on her arm as I walked by, letting her know I felt what she was going through, and that I appreciated all that she was doing. The pressure placed on Clarke's shoulders was a lot for anyone, let alone an eighteen year old.