60. heartbreak

The next morning brought another day of sunshine, but the celebrations from yesterday had slowly died down.

Delilah had gone through her naming ceremony last night, and while I still wasn't sure exactly what that meant, I knew it was a big ordeal.

Jordan fortified this assumption with his incessant discussion of Delilah and whatever had happened last night. According to him, when she emerged from the palace after the ceremony, she was no longer herself.

"Yesterday she told me her favourite flowers were the calla lilies." Jordan explained as he, Murphy, Bellamy and I sat around a table in the tavern.

Murphy nodded, looking to Bellamy and I. "Calla lilies are nice."

I rolled my eyes as Bellamy and Murphy broke into a fit of laughter, causing Jordan to give them an exasperated look. "I'm serious." he maintained. "Something happened in that reliquary. It's like she doesn't even know me."

"Just play it cool and she'll come around." Bellamy assured.

Murphy set down his glass. "Yeah, that and, like, maybe get don't flowers for a one-night stand."

I scoffed as I looked over at him. "Don't be mean." I ordered sternly before turning back to Jordan. "Don't listen to them, Jordan. But it will take time. Just give her some space for a bit, she'll come to you when she's ready."

Murphy snorted from next to me. "Yeah, ask Avery and Bellamy all about giving space and time." he turned slightly to look at Bellamy. "How long did it take you to land this one?" he wondered, nodding toward me.

Bellamy glared at him as he took a sip of his drink. "We were a little preoccupied with the Grounders at that time." he defended.

I glanced over to him with raised brows. "Excuses, excuses."

"If it makes you feel any better," I whispered to Jordan, leaning toward him slightly. "I had to make the first move on Bellamy."

Murphy let out a loud laugh as Bellamy's jaw dropped slightly. "I was giving you space." he argued before looking to Jordan. "See? It works"

I grinned at Bellamy as Jordan tried to force a small smile on his face. It was evident he was still distraught over whatever was happening with Delilah.

"It'll be okay." I promised, my voice gentle as Bellamy stood from the table, making his way toward Clarke who had just entered. "I'll help you get the girl."

A genuine smile came to Jordan's face as he gave a small nod. "Thanks, Avery."

I gave his hand a quick squeeze before diverting my attention toward where Bellamy, Clarke, Gaia and Madi stood. Gaia seemed visibly upset about something, meanwhile Madi appeared to be bouncing off the walls in excitement.

Clarke wore a stiff smile as she spoke to Bellamy, a small sense of uneasiness present in her demeanour.

At one point, Gaia had stomped off, meanwhile Madi had bounded up the stairs to her room. That left Bellamy and Clarke alone, and by the way Bellamy reacted, the conversation seemed to be slightly uncomfortable.

"What was that about?" I questioned as he rejoined the remaining three of us at the table.

Bellamy let out a low sigh as he leaned up against the table beside me. "She's letting Madi go to school." he explained. "And she was telling me about her night."

"With the doctor?" I assumed, an amused smile on my lips.

Giving a small shudder, Bellamy nodded. "There's some things I don't need to know about."