33. no (wo)man left behind

After our close run-in with the Incredible Hulk-like man, Murphy, Echo, Raven, Bellamy and I had ventured to the part of the ship which held the cryo beds.

Here, it had been decided that Raven would rig it to some sort of kill switch, one that we could operate from the ground.

If those people on the ground even thought about hurting our friends, we could bargain with the lives of 200 some odd of their people.

So, Raven and I had worked on figuring out the logistics of it. We seemed to have mostly figured it out. 

A little less than an hour later and all of us were suiting up in the airlock, just waiting on Bellamy and Raven.

Only one of them joined us. 

"Where's Raven?" I demanded, looking past Bellamy in hopes of seeing her. 

His eyes fell downwards for a moment. "It's technical, but-um, someone has to run things from up here."

Emori balked at this, her eyes widening as she shook her head in protest. "So let it be John!"

A scowl covered Murphy's face at Emori's words. But Bellamy shot down her proposition. "I said it's technical."

Monty looked around at all of our worried faces. "I'll do it." he announced, beginning to make his way out of the airlock.

Bellamy quickly stopped him. "Enough!" he ordered. "It has to be Raven. Once we have a truce she'll come down with the prisoners. If we fail, she'll take the ship's escape pod."

I looked at Bellamy in disbelief. "Send her down with 300 prisoners? Sounds like an excellent idea."

"She'll be fine." he assured. 

"If I'm flying solo she'll be the only one!" Emori exclaimed, pure terror in her words. "Avery, you've gotta do it."

I gave her a guilty look as I shook my head. "I can't, Emori. I'm barely even trained for that."

Bellamy placed a supportive hand on Emori's shoulder. "You've got this. Let's load up!"

I felt a pit in the bottom of my stomach...we couldn't just leave Raven here alone. 

So I wasn't going to. 

Silently, I stepped out of the airlock. 

"Avery, what are you doing?" Monty demanded, beckoning for me to come back.

Bellamy spun around, his eyes landing on me. "Avery, let's go. Now isn't the time for games."

I let out a sigh as I stared back at him. "This isn't a game, Bellamy. I'm staying."

He looked at the rest of the group briefly before taking a step toward. "Avery, if you're doing this because of me then--"

"--God, Bellamy." I scoffed. "Not everything is about you, okay? I'm doing this so Raven isn't alone. She might need backup."

"I'm not leaving you." he asserted. 

I rose my brows slightly. "I think you already have."

"What does that even --you know what, fine. Stay up here." he huffed, turning away from me.

"Great." I mocked. "I will."

Murphy rolled his eyes as he stepped out of the airlock and joined me. "You two and your theatrics."

"John, what the hell are you doing?" I snapped, turning to him in shock. 

Bellamy spun around once again, letting out a frustrated sigh. "Murphy, let's go. Avery can be dramatic on her own."