05. doomsday cult

"Out of the vehicle" Bellamy demanded, yanking the door to the Rover open with some force. 

Jaha remained where he was, hands gripped on the steering wheel. "I need to make a run."

"All supply runs go through me." Raven snapped, pure anger in her words. "And shouldn't you be working on the patch in Sector 5?"

He stared at all of us for a moment before turning the key that killed the engine. Pulling himself from the vehicle, he scanned his eyes over the four of us. "A patch for a ship that can only save a hundred people?"

I looked to Raven in confusion, as Bellamy and Clarke shared a similar look...how did he know?

"Why are you surprised?" Jaha questioned as if it were obvious. "I am an engineer."

I let out a small snort. "That explains the cockiness." I muttered under my breath.

Jaha either didn't hear my comment, or chose to ignore it. "We have no way to generate water, the harder number is 400. Can you really sentence 400 more of our own people to death?"

"We don't have a choice!" Clarke snapped, earning the attention of some people milling around. I turned my head slightly, watching as people stopped what they were doing to watch us momentarily. 

"What if you do?" Jaha proposed. "What if I told you there might be a fallout shelter less than a day's drive from here, a fallout shelter built to sustain thousands?"

What he was suggesting, well it seemed too good to be true. Could there really be something like that out there? It didn't seem entirely likely.

"We've been through the Chancellor's files," I argued, thinking back to a few days ago when we had spent all day and night scanning the files hoping to find something, anything that could save us. "All the bunkers you listed for The Hundred were listed as 'compromised' or 'unviable', and now Mount Weather is too."

Jaha looked over to me with a small nod. "Those were government bunkers." 

He then turned back toward the Rover, pulling open the door to reach for a tablet before handing it to Clarke. 

We all leaned toward her, reading the article that was pulled up. It was from a newspaper called 'The Chicago Weekly Herald' and it was about some cult called The Second Dawn.

"A doomsday cult?" Bellamy asked, looking up to Jaha with suspicion. 

The former Chancellor nodded. "That's right. The Second Dawn--"

"--They built a bunker?" Clarke assumed, tying together everything Jaha was trying to tell us. 

"Their whole theology was based on riding out the end of the world."

Raven stood with her arms crossed firmly in front of her chest. "And why didn't you consider it?" she wondered. 

"We couldn't prove it existed." 

My mind wandered to what would have happened if they had have proven it existed. Is that where we would have ended up instead of trying to get to Mount Weather? Would more of The Hundred have survived? Or would we have met the same fate no matter what?

"So then why are you considering it now?" Bellamy questioned. 

"Because before now, we didn't need it."

Clarke looked up from where she had been focusing on the tablet. "You found it didn't you?"

Jaha looked away for a moment before looking back to us. "We can't be sure unless we check it out." he admitted.