73. the other side

Serenity had once again settled over Sanctum. No more chaos, no more mobs...no more death.

But as the sun rose over the settlement, it was clear that serenity was not felt in the hearts of the many.

So much had been lost.

We had received word from the transport ship that they were back on their way to meet us...but they too were not unscathed from death.

Abby Griffin had been killed. Russell, the monster that he was, had turned her into a host to which Clarke was forced to kill her own mother-at least the body of her mother.

My heart grew heavier with that news, only imaging the pain that Clarke was in.

But I was also plagued with my own devastation because Greer was still dead. It hadn't been a dream.

A cool frost covered the ground as darkness gave way to dawn. The rising sun brought no warmth. 

My body shivered as I re-entered the storage container we had taken refuge in the night prior. Bellamy remained by my side, his hand gripping onto mine as we entered. 

She was exactly where we had left her. Her blonde curls tumbled around her as she laid in complete stillness. Her skin had become even paler than it had been the last time I saw here, the blood drained from her features. 

I felt my knees grow weak as I looked at her. I had known Greer for barely two weeks, but it had been long enough for us to forge a bond that seemed unbreakable. Moreover, she was just a child. The loss of any young life was heartbreaking. 

Silently, I approached her still body, pulling my hand from Bellamy's as I dropped down next to her. 

"Ave," Bellamy whispered softly, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I've got her."

I shook my head, looking to him with teary eyes. "I can do it." I assured, pulling her limp body into my arms. "I can do it."

He wore a sad look as I stood. His own eyes had gone glassy as he looked down at the little body in my arms. "She didn't deserve this."

Nodding slightly, I pulled Greer's body closer to me. "She would have been amazing." I whispered. "If she just had the chance to grow."

Pulling me close, Bellamy pressed a kiss to my forehead. And although I had promised that I was capable, he gently took Greer from my arms. 

I was grateful for his attentiveness, because as much as I wanted to hold on to her, it destroyed me having her body so close. 

We fell back into silence as we made our way out into the centre of the settlement. Here, all of the destruction from the previous night could be seen on full display. 

This place was ruined, and I couldn't help but feel that it was partly our doing. 

My eyes travelled the scene, watching as people mourned their losses. It was clear they had never faced devastation as such. 

"Why is it everywhere we go, disaster seems to follow?" I questioned, my voice quiet and broken. 

Bellamy glanced down at me, giving me a gentle look. "Don't blame yourself." he ordered. "It does no good."

I accepted his response, falling back into silence as we neared the area where all of the bodies had been lined up.

"We'll leave her here for now." Bellamy said softly as he laid Greer next to the others. "She'll get a proper burial when the time comes."

I nodded, trying to blink away the tears as I watched him cover her body with one of the sheets that had been provided. 

"I can't come with you to the anomaly." I announced, my voice giving way to devastation. "I need to stay here...for Greer and for the others."