Part 11- Temporary Solutions

(Pic Credit:https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/fc:-fave?sort=top)

-Ethan

The walk to Michael's house is uneventful. Since I live in a small town, I can pretty much travel anywhere I'd like without a car, though the wind and snow gets to me sometimes. Right now is peaceful, though.

I texted Jack before coming, hoping that I'm not the only one going to Michael's house. That'd be fairly awkward.

The sky is already dark, and only the streetlights light my way as I see Michael's house in the distance. I knock on his door patiently and wait for it to open. I'm sure Jack is already there, since he lives just two houses down, so it shouldn't be too terrible.

The door opens to Michael's grinning face. He gestures in and I follow, hearing him close the door behind me. I can already hear Jack playing video games in the other room.

"Sup, dude?" Michael greets with a smirk. I take my coat off and tie it around my waist.

"Sup." I say back sarcastically.

"Is that Ethan?" Jack shouts from the other room. His enthusiasm forces a smile onto my face. There was no way I would have come to Michael's house without Jack.

"The one and only!" I shout back. Jack laughs and pauses his game, running up to us. He pulls me into a hug and lifts me into the air.

"Dude, I haven't seen you in like a week! Where have you been?" He grins excitedly. I struggle against his hold, laughing.

"Just at my house. Nowhere special." I reply simply.

"Just at your house?" Michael retorts, "why haven't you been at school?"

I look around awkwardly as I struggle out of Jack's bro-hug. I don't want to tell them the real reason, especially not with Michael around, for fear of them making fun of me. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to come here in the first place.

"I just didn't feel like coming to school, you know?" I answer, hoping it sounds casual enough. Jack looks at me quizzically, but Michael just chuckles.

"I'm sure your parents love that," He begins, "Rumor has it you're somehow failing Spanish, dude. That's like the easiest class!"

I look at Michael blankly, trying not to show my disdain. "I know, but I just don't care, really. I'm thinking of dropping out."

Both their eyes widen and we stand in shocked silence for a moment. I look between the two weirdly.

"Don't go!" Jack whines, half begging. "Who am I supposed to steal lunch food from?"

"Yeah, you're just going to let Jack starve?" Michael retorts jokingly. I chuckle and roll my eyes.

"Maybe you should try eating your own food for once, Jack." I joke.

"Oh, but you know the school lunch sucks!" He cries desperately, blowing the whole situation way out of proportion. "Your lunches are so much better!"

I sigh as I laugh, trying to play into the dramatics. "Make your own lunch, then!"

Jack pouts and playfully glares at me. "How rude of you!" He turns with a swish of his hair and crosses his arms. Michael looks at me, feigning annoyance.

"Now look what you did!" he points in an angry tone.

We all laugh for a minute as we walk into Michael's dirty bedroom.

"Seriously though, Ethan," Jack says as we sit on his bed, "Don't drop out! When would we hang out?"

"We can hang out any time afterschool. I'm going to be free anyway."