Unus Annus

-Ethan

I open my eyes, but they don't open. All I see is darkness.

Darkness, a vast void of nothingness.

I look below me but there is no floor either. Just darkness. The darkness engulfs everything, and so I'm almost blinding myself when I look down at my pale, oh so pale hands.

I feel no cold, no heat, no shiver or soft breeze from the bridge.

My heart pounds in my chest. Mark.

"Mark...?" I shout out into the void, and an echo of my voice booms back at me, rattling my eardrums.

I stumble back from the sheer volume, my chest booming and head thumping to the rhythm of my pulse.

I know where I am, though I've never been here before. The way Mark described it fits the place perfectly. It makes me wonder if we are in the exact same place, or if this is a void differing from his.

It makes me wonder if Mark is still in his void, or if he's somewhere far away, maybe Mark no longer exists.

A shiver runs down my spine at the thought, and so I shove my "ifs" away.

Being here, it's a lot worse than I could have imagined. Not because I have unfinished business, or because I regret anything or I'm afraid, but because the place is just plain scary.

It feels claustrophobic in every light, and I feel like every step I take I will bang into a wall or crash into furniture that could be hiding in the darkness. I know the feeling is silly, but there's no way to stop it.

Until I see a small speck in the distance. A light figure crouched down over something, curious. I race toward the speck, knowing deep in my mind who it is and what it probably means.

Well, not who it is, but more so what they are, what they have.

As I approach, I notice it's a person, likely a girl, probably around my age, maybe a teenager, I'm not quite sure. Their hair is pulled back from their eyes as they look up at me, the same curiosity a moment ago followed in their gaze. They quirk their head.

I won't be like Mark and ruin this with actual trauma. I think to myself, recalling my encounter with my "mentor" or whatever Mark was. I smile at the kid, and their eyes widen.

"Ethan Nestor?" They say in realization. They stand, Their eyes never leaving mine. I chuckle.

"Maybe, I don't really know." I reply honestly. I am not quite sure how that whole part of me works yet.

"What are you doing here?"  They ask, looking around. By the look on their face I can tell no one is around, and they take a few steps back. As if I'm going to attack them. Hah.

"That's a good question." I nod my head. "Where am I?"

"Uh," They begin, searching around the place. "You're by the creek behind my house. How did you get here?"

I don't know how to tell them, and I think it's kind of showing, as they glance at me weirdly.

"Uhm... well that's the thing..." I straighten a bit, trying to trek cautiously. "Um you see... uh... what's your name?"

"Reader" they  say, reaching their hand out to me. I take it, and they feel cold against my skin. When they notice how warm I am in comparison, they jerk their hand back.

"Well, hello Reader. I know this will sound insane, but you have to believe me, okay?"

"Okay..."

"I'm dead.

And you are going to die in a year."