"A Short Life Long Lived"

(I wrote a very short story with a similar theme a while back. I thought that I could share it here. I will have an author's note up soon. Thank you for reading!)

A mayfly rests its head a final time on a rock. After living only two days, the creature is ready to go. It's tired and has little energy to live any longer. 

Of course, it has its regrets. It would have flown farther and faster than any other fly, it would have flown higher than the tree tops and watched the sun fall and make way for a crisp moonlight. It would have made more friends, found more partners, had more fun, if only it  had more time.

And there are also worries, too. It worries that no one liked them, that they didn't contribute enough to the world. It worries that they might not have been worthy of the life they were given. In a way, it regrets its worries, for it knows it can do little to change them now. 

But it is also satisfied. It believes that in the time it had, it did enough. It flew high enough, it buzzed and sang enough, it experienced enough. Though it never saw everything, it knows it didn't have to. It had already seen so much, and it knows that no more views or experiences could make its life any better. 

So, happily, the mayfly rests and takes one last look at the beautiful sky, the sky that it got to watch for two whole days. Though it wishes for more, it cherishes the moments it already had. 

For it had enough.

It did enough.

It was enough.