Part 16- The Ending

(Pic Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AeEQXpsArlX_Zg6Pk97-nZ3liV1HE79gw02KL0TGq3raaR596f8r0fk/)

-One Year Later-

-Ethan

My eyes droop from looking at the bright screen in Mark's dark filming room. I blink the tiredness away as I continue editing, then rewatch every few minutes to make sure it looks right. There's always something wrong with it, though, something off that I can't put my finger on.

I've worked on this final video for about seven hours so far, even though it's only fifteen minutes long. I just can't seem to get it right.

And it must be right. I have four million people counting on me to make this last video the best it can be; the best goodbye I can give.

It'll be people's lasting impression of me. It must be perfect.

I can barely feel my hands as I shakily move my arm to grab the coffee at the side of the desk, far away from the keyboard. I take a few uncomfortable sips, since the coffee has long since cooled from when I got it. I set it back down, trying my best not to spill any at the risk of breaking the computer and erasing my progress.

Add a cut here, adjust the volume on this bit, maybe turn the brightness down...

Over the past year, I've gotten very good at editing, especially funny clips. Mark said that if he were still alive he would have employed me as one of his editors, and I can't help but feel proud. But I've never really worked with serious content before, and I am finding it challenging to make my edits fit with the mood I want.

Maybe it's just me overanalyzing, but I can't mess this up.

This year has been phenomenal so far. When we first posted our intro video, we already passed 600K subscribers. Each video racked over a million views with the help of Amy and a few of her friends supporting it. Although it was hard to bring Mark into each skit or video, most of the subscribers didn't mind the videos of just me. Lots of comments talked about how funny or stupid I was and where I had been over the past few years. Mark and Amy say I would have made an amazing Youtuber if I had more time.

If I had more time.

I hate it when people say that, now. Accomplishing things has little to do with time, as I've figured out. You can spend a lifetime on something and have it still turn out like garbage, or you can spend a little less than a year on a project you love and be more than proud of it. It only matters how much effort you put into it.

That's why I've given my all to Unus Annus. All the all-nighters, all the mental breakdowns, the stress, it's all worth it.

I continue editing well into the night, only understanding concepts of time via the tiny digital clock at the bottom right of the screen. I would go on for more hours, but I hear a knock at the door.

"Come in." I say absentmindedly. Amy cautiously steps in, glancing about the room.

"You know, you're going to ruin your eyes if you stare at a bright screen in the dark for too long." She remarks as she quirks a smile.

"Not like it matters." I say, trying to keep my attention on editing. What was I changing again? Oh yeah, the speed. And should I put a blue filter over it?

Amy clears her throat from behind me. "Ethan... it's 11:00."

I glance up at her. "Yeah." I say, not getting what she's hinting at. She sighs in response.

"Maybe you should go to bed. After all, don't you want to have a good time your last four days alive?"

I glance up at her, before sighing and closing my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose.