Part 7- Two-dimensional Walk

(Why, hello again! Fancy seeing you here! I hope you like this part, it took a couple days but hopefully, HOPEFULLY, I can get a more consistent schedule soon. I finished this so late at night, but I guess this is kind of like my inspiration hour lol. anyways, yeet.)

(Pic credit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdpkJ-hcaoA)

-Ethan

I stumble lazily out of bed in the morning, noticing Mark's huddled body still fast asleep. He must have fallen asleep sometime late last night. I don't want to wake him, even though I know he doesn't need to sleep. I think it's probably a good break from his mental thoughts right now.

I don't bother changing my clothes, knowing that I'm not in the mood to go to school today. I almost never am, but today especially. I don't want to have to face Ava after our exchange a few hours ago. Guilt still flows through my veins but I carry on, trying to keep my mind off the painful memories.

Glancing at the clock in the hallway, I notice that it is already past school time, so I cautiously make my way around the house, checking to see if anyone is still here. I don't want to be caught skipping, and as if to answer my prayers, the house seems empty. I sigh a breath of relief as I make my way down the stairs.

The kitchen lights are still off, which allows the natural morning sun to beam in through the windows. Everything seems so stoic, as if it were fragile to the touch.

I open the cupboard and make myself some more cereal. What type? You guessed it. Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I can never get tired of this stuff.

I chug my cereal down as I hear someone approach from behind. I jerk up, nerves getting the best of me, I search for the source.

Mark stands in front of the stairs, rubbing his tear-stained eyes. He looks older today for some reason. It's as if he doesn't age physically but more so emotionally. He looks at me solemnly, an expression of defeat plastered on his face.

I relax back in my chair, trying to focus on food again.

This is the first time Mark has been up out of that corner in at least a day. Say something!

"H-hey, Mark." I greet awkwardly. He barely looks up, but I can tell he's listening a little at least. "Do you want some breakfast?"

Mark shakes his head no and instead walks over to me, avoiding my eyes.

"Are you doing okay?" I ask, trying to make some form of conversation. Again, he nods, this time up and down.

"I'm fine." he says blankly. His voice sounds hoarse, but that's to be expected when you haven't spoken a word since Saturday.

I don't know what to say to him. I've tried saying sorry, I've tried a million times but the apology clearly isn't what he's looking for.

I analyze him for a second, staring at his unkempt physique still in his hospital gown. He looks old and tired, dark circles look like bruises under his eyes almost, and his cheekbones are more prominent. It's as if he's decomposing.

Blech. Don't think about it like that.

After a moment more, and once he notices my prying eyes, I stand up, taking a final bite of my cereal.

"How about we go for a walk?" I try to say casually, hoping I come off well enough. He simply glances up at me and gives me a tight smile, scratching the back of his neck.

"Alright"

--

As we walk down the sidewalk, an awkward silence looms over us. I simply don't know what to say; don't know where to start. What is there to say? 'I'm sorry for bringing up the fact that you're never going to see your girlfriend or anyone you ever loved again'? There is no right way to word it.