Part 1- Taste of Reality

Pic Credit: https://miniatureinternetsalad.tumblr.com/post/189155678706/unus-annus-memento-mori-just-some-fanart-i

(Hello! Uh, I've never done this before, so hi! As you can tell, this is a fanfiction inspired by Unus Annus. I will say right now and perhaps as a disclaimer at the beginning of every chapter (if I remember) that this is a story that just happens to use people from real life. This is in no way a reflection of anyone I mention in this story, and should certainly not be taken for real life. I should also warn that there are mentions of the following in this story and/or in multiple parts:

Suicide

Bullying

Toxicity among friend groups

If you are triggered by these, please leave now. It is best to not read any of the story because some of these are big parts of the story. Thank you! If you have decided to continue, I thank you as well and I hope you enjoy! This is my first works so if you could give me critiques on how to be better that would be greatly appreciated!

This first part is in the perspective of both Mark and Ethan, switching from one to another)

-Mark

I wake up, breathing heavily. My cheeks feel wet with tears and my face burns from anxiety and desperation I can barely remember. My heart beats fast and booms in my chest as if it were going to explode out of me.

Last I knew, it was seizing up, so the fact that it's beating now is a plus.

Everything starts to come back to me in a blur, a gust of memories drifting into my vision.

I'm lying on a hospital bed, comatose.

"There's nothing we can do," The doctor spoke quietly to a woman- Amy -at my side. She holds my hand, a warm feeling tingling through my palm.

I can see, hear, feel everything, but I can't move. I can't breathe, and that becomes increasingly more alarming as I realize it.

My eyelids feel heavy and I seem to sink back inside myself, trying to hide from my reality. Amy looks down at me, tears welling up in her eyes and gliding softly down her cheeks. She smiles at me sadly, and then leans down to kiss my forehead before leaving the room.

Then I can't see anymore, my vision going black as something buzzes next to me, a muffled sound that grows more distant every moment. Then, the ring of my own eardrums to fill the void.

I clutch at my chest in surprise, then feel around myself to check if everything is still working properly. It is.

I sigh a breath of relief before opening my eyes.

Before opening my eyes.

Are my eyes open?

Darkness consumes me, seems to eat away at my very soul. Not a single silhouette or shadow or light.

Complete darkness.

I blink a few times, just to make sure I'm not hallucinating. I'm not.

The silence of the room is noisier than anything I could have imagined. The ringing in my ears is loud, almost deafening. I blink in annoyance. I've always hated when my ears ring. It distracts me from what I'm doing.

What am I doing?

More specifically, what am I doing here?

The darkness doesn't change around me, doesn't shift with a certain moonlight or a crack under a door. There is no light.