Chapter 2

A few years later...

Arthur - 13

Elizabeth - 12

Morgana - 15

Alexander - 14

My eyes fluttered open, to the bright sunlight that was streaming through the windows. I groaned and turned over in my bed. "I'm sorry my Lady, but it's time to get up." I heard my handmaiden say. I sat up in bed and saw her smiling at me. I flashed her a small, fake, smile. Then I forced myself out of bed and into an uncomfortable dress.

"I'll take you to breakfast, My Lady." My handmaiden said, and I hummed in response. "Esme, can you go get me some more comfortable shoes." I asked, and the girl walked into the adjoining room, which contained most of my belongings. I giggled under my breath, before running out the door.

I ran through the castle and straight to the library. As I was going through the door, I crashed into someone and stumbled backwards. "Oof." I said, and looked up to see who I'd run into. I let out a sigh of relief as I saw that it was only Geoffrey. "I'm sorry My Lady." He said, hurriedly, trying to help me up. I giggled, and shook my head, standing up on my own.

"It's alright, got anything new for me to read?" I asked, excitedly. The librarian chuckled, but shook his head. "I'm afraid not. But I promise that as soon as there is I'll tell you." I smiled and thanked him, before going further into the library to find a good book to read.

I managed to get through a few books before lunch time, when Geoffrey brought me a few sandwiches from the kitchens. I ate them in silence, before thanking Geoffrey and leaving the library, knowing I had to get ready for a riding lesson with Morgana. Over the last few years, Morgana and I have become better friends. I was no longer jealous of her, and that meant we got on really well.

Arthur and I were still really good friends, but he had gotten a lot busier as he was training to be a knight, while also learning how to be a good king. But I didn't mind, I still got to spend plenty of time with him, and when I wasn't with him, Morgana was usually free.

I made my way through the castle, and to my room. I peeked around the door and let out a breath as I realised that Esme wasn't in there. I went in and put on some more comfortable clothes, ones that I could rise in. Then I left my room and headed down to the stables. Once I got there I looked around and saw that neither Morgana, nor our teacher were here yet.

So, I went over to my beautiful chestnut horse, Flame (Pictured above). I went over to her stall and she immediately came over to me. "Hey, beautiful. I'm gonna get you ready." I said, as I grabbed my brush. I started to brush her down and saddle her up. By the time Morgana and our instructor arrived I was ready to start the lesson.

"Ah! Elizabeth, you're early, and you're all ready, why don't you ride out to the training area while Morgana and I saddle our horses." Our instructor said, and I nodded, bringing Flame out of her stall and mounting her saddle. I clicked my tongue at her and we started trotting into the training area.

I smiled as I saw that our instructor was still helping Morgana with her horse, so I kicked Flame into a run, and we ran around the small area. I smiled as I felt the wind running through my hair, and I felt as though I was free.

I was brought out of my thoughts by the sound of swords clashing. I brought Flame to a slower pace and looked over to where the knights training area was. I smiled as I saw that Arthur was fully decked out in armour and had a sword in his hand, fighting one of father's knights.

I watched as the two duelled, and Arthur's shield got hit by the other knight's sword. I saw that Arthur grunted, before falling over, a small 'oof' falling out of his mouth. I chuckled, catching the attention of the two fighters. The knight smiled at me warmly, and Arthur groaned louder, muttering something along the lines of, 'why did she have to be watching', but I took no notice of it, as Morgana and our instructor arrived.

We continued the riding lesson, and all went smoothly, until a guard came over and said that our father wanted us to meet him on the castle steps as soon as possible. I shared a confused look with Morgana, but we both got off our horses and left them with our instructor and the stablehand.

When we got to our father he was all decked out in his own armour, and Arthur was stood at his side, slightly out of breath. I smiled at the prince, before standing on the other side of father with Morgana. "Girls, we are welcoming some guests to the castle today. They visited around five years ago, you may remember them. King David and his Son Prince Alexander." Father said, and I searched my memories, trying to find some recollection of the two, but to no success.

We didn't have to wait long before a carriage pulled up and a man got out of it, followed by a young boy. I stood up straight and put on a small smile, but at the same time, was studying the two's faces. Then I suddenly remembered. They had come to the castle when I was eight, and I'd had an awkward conversation with the prince during dinner.

I smiled as they both shook my father's hand and got lead into the castle. I was about to head inside, after Morgana, but Esme came over to me. "My Lady, come along, we need to get you ready for the meal tonight." She said, and I sighed, but followed her into the castle and through to my room. We spent the next few hours fiddling with my hair and makeup, and ensuring that I was wearing the correct dress, whatever that meant.

I didn't understand why Esme was making such a fuss, it was just a visiting prince and king, we'd had plenty of those, and I'd never had to dress up like this before, I just hoped that Morgana looked similar, otherwise I would be really embarrassed. Once Esme thought I had the perfect dress on, we left the room, and she escorted me to the Main Hall.

I pushed open the door to the Main Hall and went in, sneaking a glance at Morgana, glad to see that she was also slightly more dressed up than normal

I pushed open the door to the Main Hall and went in, sneaking a glance at Morgana, glad to see that she was also slightly more dressed up than normal. I then went over to my seat, and realised that I was sitting next to Alexander again, great, another awkward dinner.

However, I was shocked when we started talking quite comfortably. He started the conversation off, and then we just continued asking questions. We actually had quite a lot in common. We both loved riding, and being outdoors, while also loving reading books, and learning. We talked through most of dinner, until it was almost the end, when Alexander got dragged into the conversation between our father's and Arthur. So I turned around and started talking to Morgana.

After dinner I walked back up to my room to find Esme was there, she was waiting for me, and continuously asked me how it went. I answered all her questions half-heartedly as she pulled my dress over my head, and put me into my nightdress. Then I got into bed and she put all the candles out and closed the curtains.