Chapter 8

I closed my book as the door opened. I looked up, and sighed a breath of relief when Arthur came in. Today was the day we were finally going to talk to father about being courted, and I couldn't be more excited. I stood up, but my smile dropped when I saw the frown that was on Arthur's face. "What's wrong?" I asked cautiously.

"Father's sending me and a few knights out on a hunt before winter really sets in, so we have enough meat, I'll be away for a few days." He said, sadly, not looking me in the eye. I let out a breath and my heart sank. I slowly made my way over to Arthur, and took his hands in my own. "That's okay." I said, my voice coming out as a whisper.

"It is?" Arthur questioned, looking down on me, a hint of confusion seeping through his features. I smiled weakly and nodded my head. "I've waited a year, I think I can wait for a few more days." I said, and Arthur's face broke into a smile. He brought me into a hug and kissed the top of my head.

"I promise as soon as I get back we'll tell him." He said, and I nodded to him. Arthur looked at me for a few seconds, before leaning in and kissing me. I melted into him, and wrapped my arms around his neck. He pulled away, but only slightly. "I love you." He said, his voice like a whisper. "I love you too." I responded with, before Arthur pulled away from me and left the room.

I went over to my window and stood by it, watching as Arthur mounted his horse and rode off into the forest. I let out a sigh, before picking up my book and heading down to the gardens, so I could have some time to myself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up at the clouds from where I sat in the gardens. Arthur had been gone for a couple days now, and was due to return tomorrow. I was being as patient as I could, but I had really got my hopes up that we would be public by now, I guess not having him here helped slightly, but it also didn't.

I was brought out of my thoughts of Arthur by someone calling my name. "Lizzie! Lizzie!" A voice, I recognised as Alice's shouted through the garden. I stood up from where I was and looked over to my handmaiden. Her hair was slightly frazzled, and her dress untidy, which meant she had been running to get here.

"Alice, what do you want?" I asked, concerned, because she seemed in a hurry, but also worried. "Lizzie, your father has summoned you, he wishes for you to go to the Main Hall immediately." She said, and a shocked look spread onto my face. I nodded, and headed into the castle.

I walked through the castle. A light sweat formed on my brow as I got closer to the Main Hall. Alice seemed so serious when she had informed me that father wished to speak with me. I remember from dinner last night that father was supposed to be attending official business right now, and Morgana and I have always been instructed to leave him alone during these times. And now he'd summoned me. He couldn't've wanted all of us there because Morgana was visiting her father's grave while Arthur was on his hunting trip

I sighed as I reached the large wooden doors. I could vaguely make out father's voice. I took a deep breath and pushed open the doors. The room fell into silence and I saw that the dinner table had been removed. There was a small group of people standing by father's throne and also a few knights scattered across the room. Everyone's eyes fell onto me, and I blushed under their gaze, averting my eyes and looking at my feet.

"Elizabeth, you're here, good. The council is dismissed." Father said, and everyone started filing out the room. I walked through the people and towards my father's throne where he sat. I smiled at him and saw that there were two people, other than the guards who were still in the room.

I looked over to them and smiled widely as I saw who it was. "I trust you remember our two guests, Elizabeth." Father said, and I nodded to him, turning to the two men. "King David, it's a pleasure to see you again," I said, curtsying in front of him, before turning to his son. "Prince Alexander." I said, curtsying again, smiling at the familiar face in front of me.