Chapter 11

We soon made it to the big doors outside. I took a deep breath and was about to knock, signaling that we were there, but Alex grabbed my hand. "I want you to enjoy tonight, no matter what happens, alright." He said, and I smiled at him, nodding slightly. Alex smiled and knocked on the door. I heard them announce us on the other side of the door, before they opened the door.

Alex gave my hand a final squeeze before letting go, and I wrapped my arm around one of his. We walked into the room and everything seemed to go in slow motion. Everyone was clapping for us, and I gave a small smile. Then I looked up to the end of the room. Gwen was standing with Arthur's manservant on the left of the main table, and Gwen was giving me an encouraging smile.

That smile was replicated on Alice's face, who stood on the opposite side to Gwen. There were four empty chairs at the table. Two thrones in the middle for father and King David, and then two to the right side of them for me and Alex. Then, already seated on the left of the hall was Arthur and Morgana. Morgana already looked bored, and Arthur just purely looked confused.

Alex and I reached the table and sat down in our seats. Alice came over and poured us both some wine. I thanked her quietly and she squeezed my shoulder gently. I took a deep breath and Alex's hand rested on mine again. I looked up at him and he smiled at me. I gave him a weak smile back, but the nerves began building up again. I took a few deep breaths before someone else squeezed my shoulder. I looked up and saw that it was Morgana who had got out of her chair.

"You look amazing Lizzie, and don't worry, I can distract Arthur if you want me to." She said. I considered her offer but shook my head, father would get suspicious if he thought we were avoiding each other. She then pressed a small kiss to the top of my head and went back over to her seat. I watched as she sat down and caught Arthur's eye for a second before turning my attention to something else. I could already feel tears building in my eyes, but I pushed them down.

It wasn't too long before the two kings were announced and entered the room. The four royals stood up and father gave me a proud smile which made me feel slightly better. The two Kings sat on their thrones and then the entire place sat down. There was a few seconds of silence, before father stood up, to announce what we were all here for. I took a deep breath, and Alex's hand squeezed mine.

I looked at him, giving him a frightened look and he pulled me slightly closer. "Everything will be alright, enjoy tonight." He whispered quietly, but I managed to hear him. I took a deep breath, before turning my attention to father.

"Attention everyone. I know you must all be wondering what you are doing here, and why we have arranged this celebration. Well I am proud to announce that the alliance between our kingdom and King David's will grow stronger. We are here to celebrate something very special, and in the following days there will be a Tournament to honour these two. I am very delighted to announce to you all that there has been an engagement between our very own Lady Elizabeth and Prince Alexander." Father said, and the entire Hall burst into applause. At least someone was excited about this announcement.

I forced a smile onto my face as Alex and I stood up, his hand holding mine tighter than ever to try and provide me with some kind of comfort. Then the applause died down and we all began to eat our dinner. I didn't dare look over at Morgana and Gwen even though I knew they were looking at me, because I didn't want to look at Arthur.

I felt a hand on my cheek and realised that it was Alex wiping a tear away. I thanked him and started eating my dinner. Alex spent most of the time talking with his father, but his hand was always in mine, and I was grateful for that, even though it didn't actually provide that much comfort.

(Arthur's pov) This won't be something that I will do often, I just wanted everyone to see Arthur's reaction to Uther's announcement.

I groaned as I got ready for the ball tonight. I really didn't want to go. I wanted to figure out what was going on with Lizzie, and I didn't even know what we were celebrating, everyone I asked just told me that I would find out tonight, or they had no idea either. I finished getting dressed and then sat down at my table.