Chapter 9

The next morning I woke up, and turned over, staring at the book which was on my bedside table. I pulled myself out of the bed, and smiled as Alice walked in the room. "How are you feeling this morning?" She asked me, genuine concern laced through her voice. "Better, oh, and Alexander and I are going to go for a ride straight after breakfast, so I need to be in my riding clothes today." I said, reminding myself of what was going to happen today.

Alexander and I decided that we should spend as much time together as possible for the next few days, until the engagement was announced, so our fathers thought we were getting to know each other, even though we already knew each other very well. Alice nodded, and helped me into my riding clothes, before we walked down to breakfast together, discussing how we were going to tell Morgana.

After a slightly more comfortable breakfast, Alexander and I headed out to the stable along with Alice, his manservant, and a few guards got ready to go. I went straight to Flame, and petted her, before going into her stall and saddling her up. I led her out the stall and was happy to see that Alex was doing the same to a beautiful grey horse. I gasped at the sight, and went over to the horse, stroking his muzzle.

"Whose horse is this?" I asked, confused, because I'd never seen it before, and I spent quite a lot of time in the stables. "He's mine, his name is Storm." Alex said, smiling at Storm proudly. I smiled at him, before calling Flame over. "This is my horse, her name is Flame." I said, as Alex stroked her. She whinied softly and we both giggled. "I guess she likes you." I said, and he nodded.

Then we both mounted our horses, and ensured that the knights were all ready, before we rode out into the forest. It was actually really nice, being out there with the guards not flanking my every side, because I had heard father give them explicit instructions that he wasn't to intervene between me and Alexander unless we were in danger.

Alexander and I talked and laughed the whole journey, and spent hours out on our horses. I did really like being in his company, but I didn't think I could ever love him, not in the same way I did Arthur. When we got back to the castle, we put our horses back in the stables, and when I was feeding Flame a small prize, I noticed that Morgana's black steed was back in it's stall.

I left Storm's stall and went over to where Alexander was. "Alex, I had a wonderful time today, and I'll see you at dinner, but I have to go, Morgana's back." I said, quickly, and the prince nodded, understanding my sisterly bond with the older girl. I looked around to find Alice and saw that she was already coming over. "Come on, let's go." She said, and I leaned up to Alex, giving him a small peck on the cheek before we headed into the castle.

We hurried through the corridors, and quickly found Morgana's chambers. I didn't even bother knocking on the door and just rushed in to find Gwen and Morgana on the latter's bed, talking. When the door banged open, the two girls looked up, and they both gasped happily. I hugged Gwen first, before pulling Morgana into a tight hug, slightly scared of the news I was going to tell her.

"Hey, are you alright?" She asked, looking into my eyes, and I could already feel the tears brimming in them. I shook my head, and proceeded to sit down on Morgana's bed, letting out a large sigh. The other three shared a concerned look, and Alice looked at me in sympathy, already knowing what was going on.

"What happened while we were gone? Did Arthur do something, because if he did, god forbid..." Morgana started, coming to sit beside me. "No, it's nothing like that Morgana, Arthur isn't even back yet, and he won't return until Saturday at the earliest, thank god." I said, muttering the last part under my breath, but Morgana heard it.

"I thought you would be upset that Arthur isn't coming home for another two days." Morgana said, and I knew she was confused. By now Gwen and Alice had come over, and were stood by the bedside. "On Wednesday, father called me into the Main Hall, when I got there I found out that King David and Prince Alexander were here, for a visit, and I was obviously happy, because I haven't seen Alex in a few years, but... but..." I said, struggling to get the words out.