Chapter 12

(Lizzie's pov)

Once we had all finished everyone else stood up, and the guards came and removed the tables, so that there was space to dance. Alexander leaned closer to me. "We have to have the first dance." He said, and I nodded slightly. The two of us stood and moved to the centre of the room. I was still avoiding looking at Arthur, because I didn't want to see him angry with me.

The music started and we started dancing with each other. I just let my feet do all the work, because I didn't want to focus too much on it, otherwise I would overthink it and do something wrong. "This reminds me of the first time we danced together." Alex said, trying to break the silence. I smiled slightly at the memory from my fifteenth birthday ball. "I was so nervous that I couldn't talk at all during the dance." I said, and Alex chuckled lightly.

"I was wondering why you didn't say anything." He said, and I smiled at him. "Well, now you know." I said. We finished the dance as the music stopped. I curtsied and Alex bowed, before the whole room clapped. Then another song started and other dancers came onto the floor. "Let's go sit down." Alex said, and I thanked him silently for that. We went to the side of the room and sat down.

Throughout the night people came over to us and kept congratulating us, and striking up conversations. I didn't pay them much attention, and was only half invested in the conversations. I was constantly glancing over to the royal table, as Arthur hadn't moved all night, and was still sitting there with a drink in hand. I really wanted to talk to him, but kept deciding against it, figuring that he hated me.

I saw that the person Alex was talking to had just disappeared, so I leaned closer to him. "I think I might turn in for tonight." I whispered and he nodded his head. I stood up and went over to father, telling him that I was going to retire for the night, and I got a hug out of him, before I motioned Alice over and we walked out the Hall together. As the doors were closed behind us I took a deep breath, before we walked to my room.

We stood in silence as she got me out of my gown and into my night dress. I smiled at her when she was done. "Alice, you can go home, I'm going to read for a bit, I can close the curtains and snuff the candles out." I said, and she nodded, before leaving the room. I then closed all my curtains and grabbed one of my favourite books from my small shelf. I sat on my bed and opened it, getting lost in a wonderful tale, forgetting my horrible reality for a few hours.

I don't know how long I was reading for, but I was brought out of my thoughts by a light knock on the door. I took note of the page I was on before closing my book. I placed it on the table, then I went over to my door and opened it slightly. My breath caught in my throat as I realised that it was Arthur. "C-can I come in?" He asked, his voice barely a whisper. I nodded soundlessly and opened the door so he could come in.

I held my breath as he sat down at my table. I had a desire to go over and sit next to him, but decided against it, not wanting to make him uncomfortable, so I went over and sat down on my bed. We sat in an uncomfortable silence for what felt like hours. I just kept shifting in my seat, my eyes occasionally flicking up to look at the man I love. I had no idea what to say to him.

"Did you know?" I heard him say, breaking the silence with his whispered question. I lifted my head gently and saw he was looking at me. His eyes were glossed over, and I knew he was holding back tears. He wasn't even trying to hide the fact that he was deeply upset by this. I shook my head slowly.

"No, father told me the day you left." I said, my voice also coming out as a whisper. I kept my eyes on Arthur, waiting for his reaction, which was just a slow nod, before he went back to looking at his hands in his lap. I took a shaky breath and a tear fell down my cheek.

"Arthur... I-I-I'm so sorry." I said, my voice slightly louder than before. I let a few tears fall down my cheeks, and I looked over to the man in the room. He lifted his head and looked at me. He took a deep breath, before doing something really unexpected. He got up and walked over to me. I felt the bed dip as he sat next to me. "Do you love him?" He asked, and I could barely hear him. I shook my head. "No, and I never will." I said, confident that that was true.