Chapter 7

A year later...

Arthur - 19

Elizabeth - 18

Morgana - 21

Alexander - 20

My eyes fluttered open and I let out a small groan. I recognised the giggle that came from the other side of the room, and glared from within my eyelids. "Alice, it's not funny, you woke me up too early." I groaned, turning over and stuffing my face into the pillows that lay on my bed. "Come on Lizzie, have you not remembered what today is?" She asked, a hint of teasing in my voice.

I furrowed my eyebrows from where I was. I racked my brain for any information on today. When I found it, I sat up rapidly in my bed. "It's my eighteenth!!" I squealed, looking over at my maidservant, who nodded happily. "You can finally be with Arthur for real." She said, and my smile widened even more. It had been so difficult to keep our relationship a secret, because we hardly ever got any time alone, but we managed, and I had completely fallen in love with the man.

I got out of bed, and Alice helped me get dressed into a nice dress for breakfast, but it wasn't too fancy as I knew I would have to change into a ball gown later. Just as I was putting my shoes on there was a knock at the door. I looked up at Alice, and she went over to answer it while I finished putting my shoes on.

When I had finished I looked up to see that the door was open and Arthur was now in the room. I smiled at him, and Alice winked at me, before leaving the room, closing the door behind her. I got up out of my seat, and ran over to Arthur, wrapping my arms around his neck. He chuckled, but wrapped his own around my waist. "Happy eighteenth Lizzie." He said, and I smiled into his shoulder, thanking him quietly.

I pulled out of the hug, and looked at Arthur properly. I was just about to say something, but he stopped me by pressing a hard kiss to my lips. I was going to protest, but decided against it, and melted into him. No matter how many times we kissed, it always felt like the first time, it was always just as magical.

I pulled away from him after a short while, and he let out a huff of protest. "We should get down to breakfast." I said, and Arthur nodded. We walked down to breakfast together and went into the hall to see father and Morgana in there. I let go of Arthur's arm and gave Morgana a hug as she whispered a happy birthday in my ear. Father then said the same and we all sat down for breakfast.

After breakfast I wandered through the castle, ending up at the library. When I went in I saw that Gaius and Geoffrey were in there. "Good morning." I said, walking into the room. The two men turned to face me and smiled at me. "Happy birthday Elizabeth." Gaius said, and I gave him a small hug.

Then Geoffrey turned to me and held a book out to me. "Here." He said, and I smiled at him, taking the book. I made small talk with the two of them for a short while, before retreating back to my room, reading my new book along the way. I absentmindedly opened the door to my chambers and closed them behind me. I didn't look up from my book until I heard someone clear their throat.

I looked up and saw Arthur stood by my table, which had two meals laid out on it. "I thought we could have lunch together seeing as I have no duties to complete today." He said, and I smiled at him warmly. I closed my book and placed it on the small shelf in my room. I went over and gave Arthur a small peck on the cheek before sitting in one of the chairs.

We talked a little bit while we ate together, mostly just enjoying each other's company as we didn't get to spend a lot of time alone together. When we finished Alice and Arthur's manservant took our plates and left the room. "Arthur, I don't think we should tell father tonight." I said, voicing something that I had been thinking about for a few days now.