Chapter 25

I barely slept a wink after Charles's story, all throughout the night I was thinking of my plan to get my questions answered. I quickly came to the realisation that I would have to wait until the next ball to carry it out.

"Good my lady, your awake", Clara announced as she entered my room. "Though you do not look like you slept".

"Is my appearance that horrendous?" I gasped, and she gave me a guilty smile.

She ushered me out of my bed and helped me into a dress she chose from my wardrobe. It was a lilac day gown with short sleeves that almost reached my elbow.

"Why are we rushing?" I asked, as Clara tugged a brush through my hair.

"Prince Nathaniel wants you to join him in the library for breakfast".

I glanced up at my maid who had a proud smile on her face, and I guessed it was because Nathaniel had spoken directly to her. I made no further comment as she pinned parts of my hair back and left a few curls astray so that they framed my face.

"You are ready my lady, now hurry before your ladies in waiting awaken". Clara guided me out the door quickly until I was alone in the hallway. I blinked a few times until I realised, she was allowing me to leave without a chaperone, my guess was Nathaniel had made it clear that he wanted me alone. A blush tinted my cheeks at the thoughts that may have ran through Clara's head, as to why the prince wanted to be alone with me. I hurried down the corridors until I eventually arrived at the big library. When I pushed open the door Nathaniel was sitting at the circular table with an assortment of fruits, pastries and beverages.

"God morning Eloise", he smiled. I hurried over to the food and grabbed a slice of bread and spread some strawberry jam on it.

"Why did you have to awaken me so early", I scolded, as I sat on the seat opposite him.

"Well I have to have some one-on-one meetings with some of the debutantes this week".

"And you chose me as your first", I smiled as I placed a hand over my heart. He rolled his eyes in response to my teasing.

"No. I want you to help me choose five debutantes to spend some time alone with today".

"Five in one day", I gasped.

"I have the next three days free and I assume five debutantes a day would cover everyone". He ran his hands through his loose black curls, and I could tell that this was stressing him out.

"How about today choose five girls you are certain you will not be choosing", I shrugged. "But obviously do not let them know that's why you are choosing them".

"Okay, I think I have five ladies in mind".

"I'll be looking forward to it". I sat back in my chair and drummed my fingers against the armrest. "I spoke to Charles yesterday".

"Oh, how did it go?"

"He had a pretty good explanation for everything that was said", I sighed. Nathaniel glanced at me wearily and took a sip from his tea.

"So, will you both be trying to make things work?"

"I suppose I will let you in on the secret. To the outside it will look like we are continuing as normal but", I moved closer to him and dropped my voice, "really we are just going to be friends from now on".

-----------------------

I glanced out of the Queens library window to see what Maria, Ethel and Henrietta were gawking at. My eyes widened when they landed on Nathaniel and his first 'meeting' of the day, Amelia. I had not expected her to be completely off his list of potential brides.