Chapter 47

Nathaniel's POV

I haven't seen her face yet. All I can see is her pale neck against the most emerald like gown. Her hair was up but that didn't stop tendrils from springing loose because no matter how hard she tried her hair was not something that she could ever tame. I watched as she leaned in to say something to Prince Philip, who burst into a loud round of laughter.

"I mean my niece was always beautiful. You might not think it but I looked an awful lot like her back when I was a much younger girl than I am now", Lady Rebecca announced, as she patted my arm. I tore my gaze away from the table in front and looked at the woman clinging to my arm. I gave her a charming smile and sighed.

"I would certainly say that is true", I replied, my gaze searching her round face.

"Seriously mother". Her son James scoffed from the other side of the table. "Lizabeth looks nothing like you. Please let go of his highnesses arm". James gave me an apologetic smile, as his mother quickly dropped my arm and let out a cough.

"James", my younger brother sighed. I shot Lucas a glare, why did mother leave me in charge of him. "I have to agree, your mother is even more beautiful than Lady Lizabeth".

"Oh, your highness", Rebecca blushed, and I glared even harder at my brother. There was no way a fourteen-year-old should ever make a woman thirty years his senior blush. Honestly, he spent too much time with Oscar.

"Are you enjoying the dessert?"  I asked Charlotte who was sat on the other side of me. Her green eyes flashed to mine and a small smile played on her lips.

"I am your highness", she said softly. "This chocolate pudding is very sweet".

"I find it wonderful the many different ways they have discovered to use chocolate", I sighed, before I took another mouthful of the chocolatey desert. She smiled and nodded her head at me. I liked Charlotte, she was kind and very beautiful but sometimes I found it quite difficult to have a conversation with her. Although she was a wonderful sketcher, and I did enjoy allowing her to draw me as it gave me an excuse to enjoy someone's company without needing to fill the silence all the time.

"We really must finish that sketch soon", I added as our plates were gathered up.

"Oh definitely, I cannot wait to reveal it to you", she said, her cheeks turning pink.

"The pleasure will be all mine".

Very soon, my mother had all the guests over to the courtyard where she had a temporary dance floor installed. I had to give it to my mother, she certainly knew how to throw a party. There were many benches and outdoor chairs scattered around the outskirts of the ballroom, and the musicians were already set up on a platform. A violin began and the bride and groom made it out to the floor. They danced a slow waltz alone, as we watched. I looked around for my emerald dress girl to ask her to dance the next dance with me, but before I got a chance, Lady Rebecca was staring at me.

"I wonder if anyone will ask me to dance", she whined. "I know I am not young or beautiful, but I am still a wonderful dancer".

"Would you do me the honour of dancing the next dance with me Lady Rebecca?" I sighed but faked a smile on my face. She grinned and grabbed onto my arm, just as the opening sounded for the Scotch reel started.

"Oh, one of my favourite dances", Rebecca announced. I smiled at her, but my eyes had finally found Eloise who was arm in arm with my brother as they joined with Philip, Ruth, Charles, and Mary-Anne for the dance. Eloise was laughing at whatever profound thing my brother told her, and I tried to ignore the sudden spout of jealousy that hit me. Oscar and Eloise had always been close, their friendship always something that used to annoy me as a child, because when Oscar could run off and get into all kinds of trouble I was always worried about the repercussions. I was the eldest and the crown prince, even as a child I understood the importance of that. I had tried my hardest to stay out of trouble and ensure my father was proud of me, but whenever Eloise was around it was hard not to join them on their adventures. When I did tag along, I always told myself it was to keep them out of trouble, but secretly I enjoyed the freedom of acting like a child every once in a while.