Chapter 13

"I cannot wait to be a debutante", Mary-Anne sighed from her spot on the picnic blanket, Oscar glared at his younger sister.

"It is lovely indeed", Bethany said quickly, which made me believe she did not want Oscar to say something idiotic.

"You are much too young", he muttered to his sister and she laughed in his face. I gently patted Oscar on the shoulder and he turned to face me.

"She is sixteen Oscar, she will be most likely joining the debutantes next season", I smiled, and he frowned even deeper.

I glanced at Nathaniel who was ignoring are mindless conversation and instead opted to eat the remnants of the picnic.

"I swear that no man will get anywhere near my younger sister", Oscar grumbled, and Mary-Anne glared at him.

"She is doing bad at her schooling", Lucas piped in. "I believe she may need to give another year of her life to education".

"See", Oscar said a triumphant smile on his face. I glanced at Mary-Anne who was busy staring at Lucas, with an unbecoming look on her face.

"Lucas is lying", she protested weakly. "I am doing very well in all subjects, tell them Molly". She stared at her governess who had been busy reading a book on the grass behind them.

"Very well, but we best head back inside and continue our studies Miss", Molly said gently, and Mary-Anne's face fell.

"Lucas must too", she grumbled, and Molly nodded in confirmation.

"Ugh", he groaned and reluctantly lifted himself from the ground. I giggled at his reaction as the three of them descended the hill, the two siblings squabbling as they walked.

The silence fell once they had disappeared, and I played with the frills on my dress. The royal siblings had invited me on their picnic this afternoon which I had gratefully accepted. There was no other company I enjoyed more in this palace than theirs; I even had enjoyed conversing with Bethany. The sun was bright in the sky now and I used my fan to block it from my eyes, I had opted to not wear a bonnet and regretted it majorly now.

"As much as I love this weather, I would rather it did not blind me", I moaned as my hand grew tired of holding up my fan.

"Well face the other way then", Nathaniel suggested, and I rolled my eyes at him.

"The weather has been wonderful", Bethany smiled, her tone as sweet as honey. I wondered how she managed to be so put together all the time.

"There is a hunt organised for tomorrow", Charles grinned.

"I am sure Edmund is disappointed that the ladies will be there", I laughed. Bethany glanced at me, confusion on her face. "He believes that women slow men down when riding horses", I told her, and she nodded her head.

"He is not wrong though", she stated. "I am terrible at horse-riding". I looked at her and laughed lightly, I had a feeling she was just being modest.

"I do not believe you", I laughed and grabbed the last remaining strawberry before Nathaniel reached it. He glared at me, but I quickly turned my attention away.

"You will see tomorrow", she smirked. "But I am not a liar".

"I am sure you are looking forward to spending more time with the lady's tomorrow", Oscar said, nudging his brother.

"Yes, very much so", Nathaniel shrugged. "Though I have to say I do hate hunting with women".

"Nathaniel", I scolded, and swatted him with my fan. "Do not speak of women so lowly".