Chapter 33

Nathaniel drew back and there was no mistaking the shock on his face. He gently twisted a stray curl around his finger, as he watched me with a curious look. My heart was racing, I hadn't expected myself to have made such a bold move. Some part of me felt like I rushed it, and another part of me screamed to kiss him again.

"What was---?" he began, but I never gave him a chance to finish his sentence, as I quickly pushed by him and back into the ball. He would probably have me thrown out now. My mother would turn in her grave at the news of her daughter throwing herself at the crown prince. I would be forever known as 'The crazy debutante who forced the prince to kiss her and was then banished to a land incredibly far away----', my spiralling, dramatic thoughts were cut off by Charles appearing in front of me.

"Are you okay? You look like you are going to throw up?" he muttered. I grabbed his arm and lead him onto the dancefloor.

"Dance with me", I announced. Charles nodded his head and spun me around the dancefloor. He tried to make conversation a few times but I was too busy trying to keep us away from Nathaniel and Maria.

"Eloise what is the matter?" Charles snapped, and my eyes locked on his. He took a deep breath and squeezed my hand gently. "I'm sorry, it's just I do not understand why you asked me to dance when it is clear you do not wish it was me you were dancing with".

"Charles, what?" I said quickly.

"I know you said we could be friends but are you sure that's even what you want? I just feel like you don't want me around at all".

"Charles it's not that. I am just dealing with a few complications, and in all honesty it would be much easier to be your friend if I didn't feel like the only reason you want to see me is to keep up appearances", I stated.

"You know that's not the only reason", he whispered. "I care about you, you are a truly good person, and once this is all over it will be easier".

"Is she looking for one? I mean, is your sister looking for a husband?" I questioned.

"I may have found a possible suitor for her. He is in his late twenties and of good enough breeding to keep our good name", Charles said smartly, and I snorted a laugh.

"I am sorry, but I do not think your sister would like to marry livestock", I winked.

"Well excuse me miss; I think marrying a boar would suit her nicely".

"Charles", I gasped. "You cannot speak of a lady like that, even if she is your sister".

"His name is Richard, and so far, their courtship is going smoothly, and I can sense an engagement on the horizon", he said smugly.

"Look at you playing matchmaker", I grinned, as the music slowed to an end. "Maybe you can help choose my husband".

He bowed just as someone lightly tapped my shoulder. I grimaced when I turned to face Nathaniel. I had gotten distracted and forgotten to keep as much distance as possible.

"Will you accept a dance?" he asked. I could feel eyes on me, so I quickly sunk into a curtsy and accepted his proposal.

"I hate you right now", I hissed as the music began.

"Is that how you greet all the men you kiss?" he whispered in my ear. I had the urge to kick him in the shin, but I forced my foot to stay put.

"Shh". I glanced around but everyone was too engrossed in their own dancing, or gossip, or both.

"Why?" he whispered in my ear again, causing goosebumps to arise on my skin.

"Stop whispering in my ear", I scolded. He pulled back to smile at me before he twirled me around.