Chapter 15

"This breakfast with the Royals will be delightful", Elaine grinned as they made their way inside the dining hall. Thankfully, Elaine and Margaretta had appeared oblivious to the stares and whispers we had received on our walk down here. I spotted Charles seated by Bethany and sighed in relief at the empty chairs beside him. I sat down and he grinned at me.

"Thankfully not late today", he chuckled, but shut his mouth when I glared at him. I was in no mood to be teased about the night before events, the wounds were not healed yet.

"I despise that we have to wait for them before we can eat", I grumbled as I stared at the buffet stretched out in front of me. My stomach rumbled in agreement.

"Good morning Eloise", a voice said from across the table. It was Edmund with Maria sat beside him. Maria glanced at me, as mischief clouded her one green eye and her one blue eye.

"You too Edmund", I grimaced, and he sighed.

"We were all shocked at you at dinner yesterday", Maria sneered, and I glared at her. Why was every debutante so horrible? I quickly glanced at Elaine and Margaretta who were indeed staring at me with an 'I told you so' look on both their faces.

"All my time I have spent in the palace, I don't think I ever saw the King even utter a word to guests here, let alone yell at them in front of an audience", Edmund chuckled, but there was nothing light-hearted about his words. I had given the vultures exactly what they needed.

"King? What?" Margaretta hissed beside me. I glared at her, not wanting to give them more of an opportunity to repeat last nights events. I glanced at Charles to back me up, but he was staring at the door that the royals were entering through. Nathaniel did not even throw a glance in my direction as he sat at the farthest table from ours. Oscar winked at me as he passed before he took a seat beside Amelia who blushed bright red. I would have to tell her later that he was currently involved with someone.

"Oh, did Eloise fail to mention what happened last night?" Maria sneered, but her eyes danced with delight. I grabbed a croissant and stuffed a piece into my mouth. This was going worse than I had even imagined it would.

"Yes, it would appear she did", Elaine snapped from her seat beside Margaretta. I was surprised she had stayed quiet for that long.

"Care to share the story?" Edmund asked, his eyes on me. I shook my head pointing to my mouth which was full of pastries, he made a face before he cleared his throat and glanced at Maria. "You may tell it so".

"Lucky me", she grinned, and I glared at Charles who was keeping himself busy by stacking his plate with all the food on the table. I would have to look out for myself. "It all began when Eloise flung open the doors, which made the loudest creak in the history of doors creaking. She just had to catch everyone's attention. Then instead of carefully slipping into a seat close to her she marched through the hall and sat directly in front of the prince. She was literally showing off how late she was. Poor Jane looked mortified", Maria sighed, and everyone glanced at Jane whose cheeks burned red at the mention of her name. I gave my cousin a reassuring smile, but she failed to return it.

"Can we just stop talking about it now?" I asked and Maria smiled with delight. I had let her know she was getting to me, and by the look on her face that was exactly what she had wanted to achieve.

"Oh darling, we only just began", she sniggered, and I clenched my fists together, repeating to myself that I was in the same room as the King who was probably hoping I would mess up so he could send me home. "Then the King called her out in front of everyone and Eloise walked to the Royal table on legs as shaky as a new-born deer. He scolded her in front of everyone and I was sitting close to the table, so I heard everything. Eloise is on her last chance, if she messes up once more, she is gone". All I wanted to do was hit the smug look off Marias face, how dare she continue to mortify me?