Chapter 38

My eyes flashed to Nathaniel's face, but he was still being all moody, so I looked back at Philip. I quickly fell into a curtsy at the prince's entrance, just as Patrick bowed. The Royal siblings barely nodded their heads at the entrance of their cousin. Philip's eyes scanned the room before they came to a rest on my brother, and a grin settled across his face.

"Patrick, isn't it?" he asked.

"Yes, it is", Patrick stated, and I could tell he was having an inner battle with himself about formalities. "Your highness", he quickly added, as it seemed being formal won over the risk of further embarrassment.

"I remember you from that one summer where we were all in each other's company. You were surprisingly funny, if I do recall correctly", Philip chuckled, and I frowned slightly, no one would describe Patrick as funny. I eyed Philip and decided that he must be being polite to my brother, to try to ease the awkwardness that seemed to be drowning this room.

"He is rather amusing", Lucas cut in. I held my breath, waiting for the insult that was bound to accompany the youngest prince. "He's got that kind of wide-eyed puppy look whenever he comes to the palace". Patrick's face turned pink at the obvious insult. Making it obvious that Lucas thought Patrick was someone to laugh at.  "I like to call him the country bumpkin", he added.

"No, I meant I actually enjoy his company", Philip said sharply, his eyes landing on my face. I gave him a reassuring smile, to let him know that I knew he never intended for his words to mean what Lucas declared.

"Have you joined us for charades?" Mary-Anne asked, her want for a change in subject was obvious. Patrick smiled at her gratefully, his need for the spotlight off him evident in his stiff posture and burning face. My poor brother.

"Nobody wants to play that silly game", Nathaniel commented. Someone was in a seriously bad mood today. I glanced at him, but his brown eyes were still narrowed and his face had become even more hardened since Philips entrance.

"Well excuse me for trying to have a little fun", Mary-Anne snapped, her own face now matching the look if irritation that matched her brothers. I let out a sigh of frustration and made me way over to Patrick and Philip who were talking amongst themselves.

"There she is", Philip grinned when I joined them. "We were just talking about you".

"I don't think you are supposed to tell someone that they were the object of your discussion behind their back", I pointed out in a matter-of-fact tone. Philip chuckled at my response, as I moved my gaze to my brother. "Is anyone else finding this room quite... stuffy at the moment?" I asked under my breath.

"I thought we were all just going to act like everything was fine", Philip laughed.

"I am in need of some fresh air", Patrick added.

"It is decided", I said loudly, so to catch everyone's attention. "The weather is too joyous to be stuck indoors, it is about time we went outside".

"Marvellous idea", Mary-Anne sighed. She made eye contact with me and slightly tilted her head in Nathaniel's direction.

As the rest of the occupants of the room made their way out, I stayed behind, because one rather moody one was still feeling sorry for himself.

"I know Oscar acted rash with inviting Lucas along for a few drinks, but you shouldn't let it ruin your entire day", I said quietly, as Mary-Anne shut the door behind her on her descent.

"Eloise don't start, please". Nathaniel sat down on the window seat, his face moving from one of rigid seriousness to one of exhaustion. I tilted my head slightly in wonderment of how he could so easily put on a mask, but I guess that is what he was trained for his whole life to do, since he is the heir to the throne. It made me relax in his company, knowing he was comfortable to show his true feelings around me.