Chapter 7

As soon as we had arrived back in our rooms, my ladies in waiting turned to me, their eyes bright in wonder.

"Open the envelope please, the anticipation is killing me", Jane begged, her hand rested on my shoulder. I smiled at her and let out a little sigh as I flopped onto the sofa.

"I may leave it for a little while". I grinned, when her face fell.

"Quit dragging it out", Elaine complained. I smiled at her before I tore open the envelope and unfolded the small piece of paper.

Miss Eloise Thompson,

I wish to invite you to accompany me to the opera tomorrow night.

Please let me know in advance if you accept my invitation.

Charles

When I read it aloud, my ladies gasped in excitement.

"Oh, Eloise this is perfect. You can finally charm the prince now, as you will be sitting with the royals", Margaretta sighed, as she fanned herself with her peacock coloured fan.

"I do not want the prince though", I stated and all three stared at me in shock. "I actually do like Charles, a lot". Margaretta was the first to compose her face into a soft smile.

"Well Charles is a very honourable man too", she stated, the excitement gone from her eyes. "We shall head for breakfast with the Queen now".

When we reached the Queens library, the other ladies were also arriving. I caught sight of Amelia on my way in and motioned for her to join me at the breakfast table.

"I feel like I have not seen you in ages", Amelia complained, and I nodded in agreement. I grabbed a couple of pastries and a cup of tea.

"Being a debutante is a lot of work", I sighed, just as the Queen entered. We all curtsied, and I followed Amelia over to the window seat to work on some sewing. I ate my breakfast though, as she sewed. Mary-Anne caught my eye and gave me a wink.

"Imagine having to be the Queen, that would be even more work", Amelia pointed out and I nodded in agreement. Being a Queen would be extremely demanding and time-consuming.

Two hours passed by, and finally the queen stood up and all the debutantes fell into a curtsy.

"You may spend some time in the gardens today", Queen Adelaide stated, her hands clasped gracefully in front of her. "This afternoon you may join the men for some horse-riding". As soon as she had disappeared, all the debutantes and their ladies burst into chatter over the news. I rolled my eyes and quickly searched for Mary-Anne who I spotted approaching me.

"Excuse me Miss Eloise", she said gently and Amelia fell into a curtsy, so I quickly copied her. A smile tugged at Mary-Anne's lips as I rose. "May you accompany me for a walk", she grinned. "Alone", she snapped as my ladies in waiting approached.

"Of course, your highness", I stated, a wide smile threatening to fall on my face. She then linked her arm in mine as we walked out together. "Thank you for that", I giggled.

"I never seen you so lady-like", she gasped in mock surprise and I glowered at her.

"Don't get use to it", I said seriously and flashed her a smile. We walked out the door and began to head out of the palace gardens and towards the forest.

"Have you ever been to Sherbone Hill?" she questioned, and I shook my head.

"No, I do not think so", I sighed and she smiled.