Chapter 2

"Now remember smile often, but not too much. You do not want to come across as aloof or a simpleton", my grandmother scolded as she put in the final butterfly pin in my hair. My blond untameable locks had been pulled up into a tight bun with two butterfly hair pins poking out of it. Sophie had helped me into a beautiful emerald green day gown with short ruffled sleeves.

"It brings out your beautiful eyes", she had told me sweetly as I had stared nervously at myself in my vanity mirror.

"We have a carriage filled with your gowns and accessories and one waiting for you", my grandmother told me now as we walked out of my room. "Eloise, I need you to think about how important this event is for you. Since the day you were born, we have been preparing you for this very moment".

"I know grandmother", I said in as sweet a tone I could muster as we began the walk downstairs. My father was stood at the bottom; his eyes lit up when he saw me.

"You look beautiful", he said softly as I reached the last step.

"Thank you, father", I grinned as I gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"William do not ruin her dress", my grandmother squealed and as soon as my father released me, she was straightening it out again.

"I am so proud of you and I want you to know that she would be proud of you too", my father said softly, and I knew he was referring to my mother. I wrapped my arms around him again much to my grandmother's disappointment.

"Eloise", she screeched, and my father chuckled at his distressed mother.

"Goodbye", he whispered, and I could feel the sadness in his voice when he said it.

"I will miss you terribly", I gasped, and he hummed in agreement.

"Eloise", Patrick shouted from the kitchen.

"I am still here", I called out and he dashed out to the front hall, his cheeks red from running.

"I picked you some wildflowers", he said gently and handed me a small bouquet of a range of wildflowers from the meadow. "Just to remind you to keep your spirit wild, it is refreshing".

"Thanks Pat", I grinned and gave my brother a hug.

"Get out", my grandmother squealed and I quickly let go of my brother and began my descent from the house, my home.

"Goodbye Eloise", father called to me as I climbed into the carriage.

"Do not forget who you are", Patrick called out to me also.

"Goodbye everyone. I love you all and Pat next time you see me I'll be still a blooming wildflower", I called back as the footman shut the carriage door.

"I pray you not", my grandmother shouted back, and I burst into a fit of giggles. I stuck my head out of the carriage window and blew them each a kiss, including Sophie who had tears falling down her face by the doorway. She had told me when she was helping me into my dress that she would miss the light that seemed to follow me into every room I entered. She had said the house will be a whole lot darker without me in it. I prayed she was wrong.

I stared out the carriage window at the beautiful fields and meadows that were slowly passing me by. I watched the farmers tend to their fields, children playing chase across the road, and the gentleness of a mother as she watched her child collect flowers from the meadow. It was all so familiar and calming and it was striking in comparison when we entered the towns. The children on the streets dressed in rags, the stench here was hopelessly different to that of the fresh air back home. We drove through the countryside once more until we reached the town of Sherborne. Here the villagers seemed a little happier. We eventually reached the palace lane and I could not help but throw my head out the window to stare at the palace I had visited every few months when I was younger with my mother. The palace stood there proudly on the top of hill. The gardens bright, green and the flowers in full bloom. My eyes fell on the maze that Nathaniel, Oscar and I would race in frequently. The walls of the palace had stood high but as we passed through them, I couldn't help but notice the beauty of the building and how striking and colourful the grounds were. It was something I had never spent much time looking at when I was younger, but now after not being here for two years I was overwhelmed with the beauty and detail of this wonderful place. The carriage pulled up outside the main entrance and my heart fluttered at the emptiness of the lane. For the first time in my entire life was entering the palace alone. The footman swung my carriage door open and extended his hand for mine to grab. I gratefully took it and hopped out. A servant hurried to my carriage and gave me a small nod.