Chapter 34

The kiss came to an end, and I couldn't decide which one of us had drawn away first. It had felt right. His mouth on mine felt like it belonged there, like it was made to battle mine.

We stood there staring at each other, every time I was ready to say something my words would die on my lips and we were left in the silence that felt so loud. I knew we needed to talk, I had already tried to lock myself in my room and ignore the situation for a few days, but look where that got me, back where we started. In every romance novel I had read that mentioned a moment like this between two characters, they always skipped ahead, never mentioning the aftermath of the kiss.

Nathaniel cleared his throat and was just about to break the deafening silence when the doors flung open.

"Thank god you haven't killed each other, run away, and you still have your clothes on", Mary-Anne announced, and I felt my cheeks flush pink. Oscar snorted from behind her as he also walked into her room, the door shutting behind him.

"Little sister watch your tongue", Nathaniel scolded and shushed Oscar before he even had the chance of making a rude comment. I could only imagine what his response would have been to that, most likely something along the lines of, 'well yours was down Eloise's throat'. My cheeks flushed at the unsaid words and I eyed up my nearest exits. Maybe running away from my problems was a good idea afterall. I thanked the Lord that they hadn't arrived five minutes earlier or they would have thoroughly enjoyed teasing us even more so than they were doing now.

"We need to talk", Mary-Anne stated.

"Please just leave", Nathaniel groaned.

"Um excuse me, but this is my room", she pointed out. "Also, we have important matters that need discussion". My eyes flew to Oscar's, but he gently shook his head, letting me know that this was not about the duke of Kensington – another problem I was ignoring at the moment. It was easier to remove yourself from complicated issues that needed solving then to try and figure them out. Problem is, the longer you leave them the more they grow and more complicated they get.

"Well please do tell", Nathaniel sighed and sat in the seat across from his sister, who had already seated herself in the one closest to the fire. I hovered by the window, unsure about where to sit and ready to make a swift exit if this conversation went in a direction that I felt uncomfortable with. Oscar walked around the chairs and stood beside me.

"Mother is going to announce today the arrival of, you will never believe it, you will either be glad or mad... the arrival of our darling cousin Philip, the prince, well soon to be King of Spain", Mary- Anne said her eyes alight with being the deliverer of unknown news. "We met mother and she told us she was looking for you and couldn't find you. She wanted us to tell you so you wouldn't be shocked when you heard her announcement at dinner later".

"Wait", Nathaniel sighed. "Philip will be here and what do you mean soon to be King".

"Oh well it hasn't been announced yet but his father, our beloved uncle, is on his deathbed. Rumour is he will be unawakenable by winter".

"Mary-Anne", Nathaniel scolded, and she shrugged in response.

"Anyway, I heard that gossip from a source who I shall not name", she stated smugly. Nathaniel rolled his eyes, as Oscar cleared his throat.

"My turn to speak", he told his sister, who stuck out her tongue. "The reason Philip is here is because he needs a wife. His father agreed to his coming here and finding a wife in our season but if he doesn't, he must marry the girl his father has arranged for him. Rumour is she is as ugly as a toad with a soul to match", Oscar chuckled.

Nathaniel rubbed his neck and groaned. "This is just perfect", he snapped. "Just add another crown freaking prince to the mix. This was meant to be my chance to find a bride". My eyes widened; it wasn't like Nathaniel to whine over something.