Chapter 31

Nathaniel widened his gaze. "So, you think I am a better-looking man than Oscar?"

"Woah, I never said you were a man", I laughed, and he shook his head, an amused smile on his lips.

"I cannot wait to tell Oscar", Nathaniel chuckled.

"That's not fair Nate", I huffed. "Also, can you take the pins out of my hair? They are digging into my skull".

"If you insist", he groaned. I rested my head on his lip, and I noticed how he hesitated before he brought his hands to my hair. He gently began to remove the pins, one by one. There was something different about his gaze, a look on his face I didn't see often, but my head was still spinning and due to the alcohol, I couldn't think about one thing for too long.

"Do you ever wonder how it feels to be an owl or a bird of some sort?" I mumbled drunkenly.

"Elle, where is this coming from?" he asked, the strange expression had now changed into the one he usually wore in my presence – amusement and confusion.

"Nate I am drunk, don't question me". I stumbled over my words but by his laugh, I knew he understood me perfectly.

"Okay that is true. I suppose I have not given it much thought, but I would say that it must be a very freeing feeling to just soar across the sky. No walls, or fences keeping you in. Just you and the sky. It is a pity that we shall never know that feeling of true freedom....", he began.

I watched his mouth as he spoke, his words became soundless as I suddenly wondered what his lips would feel like under my own. I blinked in surprise at my thoughts, and sat up so quickly I hit my head of his chin... hard.

"Eloise ow", he hissed, and I grimaced at the own sharp pain in my skull from the impact of his perfectly chiselled chin. I jumped even further away from him. What was the alcohol doing to me? "What is wrong with you, did I pull a pin to hard?" he asked and even though his own chin must have hurt like hell, his eyes filled with concern for me?

"No, I just felt a bit dizzy... sorry", I said quickly.

"Do you want me to finish your hair?" he asked. I nodded slowly and instead of laying my head in his lap, I sat with my back to him. I felt him move closer to me as he returned to taking my hairpins out.

"What do you think happens after we die?" I asked quickly, trying to get my own mind away from the feeling of his hands in my hair. We were sat so close I could feel the heat radiate of his chest. I had thought sitting this way would get my mind of his lips, and while that was true I was now thinking about his body so close to mine, his breath on the back of my neck as he concentrated on the pins, unaware of the fact that my mind was spinning.

"That's it you are banned from alcohol; you are getting far to philosophical for two people who have consumed whiskey".

"Wow that was a big word", I laughed. "Don't worry I know what it means, though I do not think I would be able to pronounce it right now".

He laughed lightly, and I felt goosebumps arise across my shoulders and neck at the contact of his cool breath on my skin.

"Are you finished?" I said quickly, my voice coming out sharper than I had intended.

"Last one", he whispered, and with one last tug, the last part of my hair was free.

"Thank you", I gulped as I quickly moved away from him, so I was sitting against the opposite bookshelf.

"How are you feeling now?" he asked, and my eyes snapped up to his.

"I am fine, why wouldn't I be fine?" I said quickly, but I could feel a flush rising in my cheeks. He watched me quizzically and my eyes darted around the room. Why was the alcohol making me feel so flustered?