Chapter Sixteen

It was early in the morning, 5 AM to be exact. Yeji stayed up all night thinking about what she'd done. She couldn't be in that damn house any longer.

She put on her coat and mask, then left the house.

After a bit of walking, she reached an alleyway. She climbed the pole until she was at the rooftop of the small abandoned building. She sat there, watching the sun slowly rise. There was a beautiful mix of yellow, orange, and slight pink.

After staring for a while, she zoned out.

She jumped a bit when she felt a light tap on her shoulder. "Heeyyooo Yeji!" Lia greeted Yeji, taking a seat next to her.

"You scared me!" Yeji scolded Lia, Lia laughing. "Sorry, I didn't mean to.' Lia sighed. " How often do you come here?" She asked curiously.

"Never, actually. I just needed to escape. I couldn't stand being in that house any longer." Yeji sighed, taking off her mask and putting it in her pocket.

"Ah okay okay. I actually come here pretty often!" Lia smiled. "So, do you wanna tell me what happened?" Lia asked, resting her chin on her hand. "No.." Yeji said, holding back tears.

Lia looked Yeji in the eyes, feeling bad for the girl. "Yeji, I know we aren't so close, but I'm worried for you now. I don't want you to be sad." Lia held Yeji's shoulders. "Please. Tell me what's wrong." Lia said, frowning.

Yeji sighed, nodding her head. "Ok, ok. I will.." Yeji removed Lia's hands from her shoulders.

"Last night when I came home late, I tried being independent. I tried being myself and doing things my way, but my mom just made me feel like shit about it." Yeji said, tears flowing down her cheeks. "She laughed at me and told me there was no way I could be independent on my own. It made me feel small and useless.. Like I was a lost puppy who needed someone to tell me what to do at all times." Yeji cried harder.

Lia had her hand over her mouth, speechless. Was it her fault?

"I'm so sorry, Yeji.." Lia cried as well, hugging the other. "What are you sorry for? It isn't your fault that my mom's a bitch." Yeji said, still crying.

"I'm the one who told you to to rebel and not listen! I'm just a bad influence, that's why your mom got mad at you! Because of me!" Lia cried.

"Lia, it isn't your fault. She's always been like this.." Yeji sighed.

Yeji hugged Lia back tightly. "Thank you." Yeji whispered into Lia's ear.

"Hm? For what?" Lia asked, wiping her tears.

"For believing me."