Apparently You Aren't Supposed To Yell At Gods

Isla Black Pov

Remember a dozen or so chapters back when I sounded all cocky because I knew about all the Norse gods and Asgard and shit? Well, that was before I was being hunted down by a legion of Asgardian warriors in a foreign realm with no help but an equally panicked girl who may or may not be a mutant and my sketchy at best demigod powers to protect me. I would like off this ride please.

"Halt!"

"Please stop chasing us!"

"Yeah! We didn't drop by on purpose-honest!" I pant out as we scramble over another grass-covered mound.

We've been running like this for the last 20 minutes, ever since a few Viking-esque guards in their comically bulky golden armour spotted us walking through the green hills. They absolutely did not want to stop and talk, we got the pointy end if their spears pointed at our throats so needless to say we tuck-tailed and ran.

"I don't think we're getting through to them." Mel mutters, slowing slightly to fall back into line with me.

"I'm so- fucking- tired, we'd better hide." I struggle to get out as we sprint over another emerald hill.

With a nod, she veers right and I follow her lead. We break out of the rolling hills onto much flatter land as crystal blue water comes into view. Wait.

"Are we headed towards the bridge?" I slow my pace without even waiting for an answer.

My eyes widen as the panic hits. Oh shit.

"Yeah, why?"

"Because-"

My warning is cut short by the echoing sound of a very muscular man landing on the lakeside ahead of us. Glowing golden eyes pierce straight through me.

" That's his territory."

The burly, dark-skinned Asgardian regards us and our not so friendly welcome wagon with a glint of amusement in his all-seeing eyes. Of course, we had to bump into Heimdall. It's just our luck.

"I was wondering when you would find your way to us, Isla." His eyes turn kind as a surprisingly gentle smile graces his intimidating face.

"What? Didn't see me coming, Heimdall?"

"Oooh, you're that creepy watcher guy aren't you? Oof, Isla I definitely should've taken us left- that's my bad." Mel giggles, drawing my attention back to her grinning face as my stomach flutters at her fond gaze.

"I have foreseen your arrival also, Melody, I'm glad Isla did not have to journey here alone."

"Oh shit, really?"

"Yeah, really?" I parrot while my distracted eyes are drawn back to the squad of golden guards shuffling around awkwardly behind us.

"Yes, I believe it's time we escort you to the palace, there are a few people there whom I'm sure would love to meet you."

-

I shuffle along behind Heimdall and a set of guards awkwardly, my dirty sneakers sliding on the polished golden floors as we navigate the giant, equally golden palace.

"Oof!" I exclaim as I run directly into the muscled back of an armour-clad guard.

Melody covers her mouth to quiet her giggles from where she stands next to me. That kids, is why you watch where you're walking.

"Uh, sorry." I mutter at the guards back. He doesn't respond. Rude.

I finally look up to see why the guard stopped so suddenly only to find we have entered a giant open throne room. It's really quite stunning all polished gold and marble, the ceilings covered in giant colourful paintings of warriors and giants and a very familiar-looking rainbow. But the main attraction is right in front of us against the far wall; the throne.