Chapter 9 | Redemption

~+~

~+~

~+~Chapter Nine| Redemption ~+~

~+~
Chapter Nine| Redemption
~+~

Jason Braverman had watched his older brother take Olivia's diary from Ian, had watched as he disappeared upstairs likely to his bedroom and had seen his forlorn expression as he had walked back, downstairs. A never ending weight seeming to make his shoulders droop, his eyes were bloodshot as if he had cried and Jason knew it wouldn't get better any time soon.

Jason had seen how happy Jake had been when he had returned, hated that the situation didn't afford them the opportunity to have those moments, and yet it felt as if it were karma. As if all Olivia's hurt, and pain that they had ignored had come around right back. The guilt of having caused even a fraction of that pain was beginning to eat at them, Jason knew his reoccurring nightmares were a manifestation of his guilt, Dr. Ann had concluded that much as well. However their guilt wouldn't fix the situation, it wouldn't make things right.

"Are you okay?" Ian asked, concern and understanding deepened his voice as he asked. Ian knew how bad the entry had to have been, having read Olivia's letter to their mother he knew she had spoken a little of what had happened to her with Dr. Ann, Ian Braverman knew to read between the lines. Not many walked away from trauma like that mentally or emotionally unscathed. It had devastated Ian to think of what she went through.

Ian Braverman could only imagine the words that had followed on, the entries that came after that. The pain, and fear. The isolation that Olivia must have felt. Marcia may have been a pillar of support for the little girl, however Marcia had only been one person divided amongst a family that had been torn apart. What she could do, and the support she could give had been limited.

And Ian wondered how much had Olivia been made to face alone? It was a thought that struck deep in Ian's heart and lingered in his mind.

"Not even fucking close" Jake swore, his left hand trembled as he covered his eyes, his breathing uneven and shaking.

Jason Braverman had no words of comfort for his older brother, so he gave Jake the time he needed to gather himself as Jason opened the little diary in his hands. And as he read he understood why his eldest brother looked to be so exhausted, and he understood why the usually confident Jake seemed so defeated.