chapter five

Three days later Diana and Lady Bridgerton were invited to luncheon with the Queen - a surprise to all of them. Especially because it appeared from the letter as though the extended request to include Diana had been made by the Prince himself.

Benedict snorted at the suggestion when Violet announced the news at the breakfast table the morning after the letter had been received.

Diana had playfully hit him over the head in response.

“Don’t forget you promised to let me paint you soon. Bring along your Prince if you’d like.” Benedict was not subtle about the blossoming romance.

Diana stuck her tongue out at him. “He’s not my Prince. Besides, I wouldn’t want to scare him off with your terrible painting skills.” She jested.

“Very funny” Benedict did not look amused.

Diana reached across the table once again to ruffle his hair affectionately which earned a small grin from him.

“I’m joking Ben, you’re getting quite good now.” The Bridgerton girl knew she had to flatter him after her mean joke - eighteen years together had made to two quite knowledgeable when it came to each other’s temperaments.

“Diana will you wear your white dress, with the soft pink trim. And perhaps pearls - they always make you look elegant.” The entire Bridgerton family could already see that Violet was concerned her daughter must make a good impression.

“Diana? Elegant?”

Colin choked on his apple at Eloise’s harsh comment. It was widely known across London society that Diana Bridgerton was certainly not the most elegant young lady of the season.

Benedict snorted at her words before apologising after being shot down by his mother’s glare.

“Despite what you may think, Eloise, I am capable of acting like a lady on occasion. Which is more than can be said for you.”

Diana’s nonchalance brought out another round of laughter as Eloise rolled her eyes in response. Despite what one might presume, the two were incredibly close and Diana knew he younger sister would never hold a grudge against her. They had shared too many secrets for that.

“Shall we get you ready then Diana” came her mother’s attempt to control the situation.

Four hours later the two Bridgerton women were now sat in front of the most extravagant luncheon that had ever been set before their eyes. From pineapple cake to candied orange, croissant to cranberry and chestnut stuffed goose. The most incredible assortment of foods had been laid out.

This served only to heighten Diana’s nerves.

“Tell me, Miss Bridgerton” came the demanding call of the Queen. “How is the season’s Pearl finding her place in London society?”

Diana bit her lip (she was still yet to come around to the notion of being referred to as a Pearl, especially considering Daphne was a diamond. It made her feel inferior).

“I have found it to be much to my liking, your highness. My brother - the Viscount - had been most kind in his guidance.” Diana spoke carefully as she was particularly fearful of saying something which might offend the Queen.

Thankfully she seemed content with the girl’s answer.

“And have you found any suitors?” The Queen eyed her with a most careful look.

Diana could not help but blush slightly.

“One or two have appeared to be... possible options.”

“I would have thought a Bridgerton would have had more than one of two suitors” was the Queen’s rather harsh response.

Diana felt hurt by the comment and briefly glanced at her mother for support. Thankfully it was provided as Violet offered her a small and almost imperceptible nod of encouragement.

“It can be hard when one has a twin sister - especially when she has been labelled a diamond. Suddenly the once appreciated Pearl loses its lustre.” It was a witty response but all those at the table were able to feel Diana’s upset at how she had been neglected.

It was then that Prince Friedrich chose to speak up.

“I have always found pearls to be a most beautiful stone. I know my mother thinks so too. In fact they are her favourite.”

The entire room was shocked at his most forward statement. For there could be no doubt - her knew exactly what the metaphor meant.

‘He thinks I am beautiful!’ Thought Di. ‘A Prince!’

The Queen on the other hand did not seem quite so happy at his declaration and shot him a warning glance before turning back to her chocolate cake. She did not speak to for Diana for the rest of the luncheon and the poor Bridgerton began to feel incredibly awkward.

This discomfort was saved only by Prince Friedrich’s suggestion that he show Diana the palace library.

*****

Another update! I think today has been an incredibly good day for updating I must say.

V x