Chapter twenty seven - Daphne

Anthony and the Prince emerged from his study no less than three hours after their initial entrance into the room. Having taken the opportunity to sort through the basic arrangements of the engagement, the pair had completely lost track of time.

Not to mention they had forgotten entirely about the young Bridgerton sat nervously awaiting the viscount's verdict.

It was a promising sight indeed when both men entered the drawing room and joined the elder Bridgerton children. Hyacinth and Gregory had long since gone to bed, and so too should have Eloise, except she was devoutly determined to stay up and 'support her sister no matter what.'

The family was engaged in a tense chess match (suggested by Benedict to ease everyone's nerves), with Diana, Eloise and Violet playing white, and Colin and Benedict playing black.

Despite their early attempts to keep the game causal, it had quickly descended into a kind of battle between the two teams, a battle which would have likely led to play fighting were it not for their interruption.

Anthony, completely oblivious to Diana's obvious nervousness, poured himself a coffee and sat down on one of the chaise longs that overlooked the now viscously roaring fire.

The rest of the Bridgerton family glanced between him and the Prince in absolute anticipation.

Eventually, the silence was broken by none other than Eloise who was, of course, unable to suppress her questions any longer.

"Well, have you agree to the arrangement or not?" She asked, perhaps a little crudely.

Anthony glanced up at her, breaking out of the reverie that had befallen him.

"Hmmm?" He mused, "ah yes, I suppose you'll be wanting to know."

"Obviously," muttered Benedict under his breath.

"Well," began the viscount before taking a sip of his coffee. "You will all be delighted to know that I have decided against the prospect of starting an Anglo-Prussian war."

With that said, he returned his gaze to the crackling fireplace, picking up a book from the table beside him and flicking through it calmly.

Whilst Friedrich struggled to suppress a chuckle, the rest of the room was plunged into chaos at Anthony's cryptic reply.

"What do you mean, Anthony?" Asked Violet seriously.

"Perhaps you should ask his royal highness," he quipped back, rising from his seat, finishing his coffee, and striding out of the room. Although not before giving the Prince a squeeze on the shoulder.

Once again, silence befell the room.

Unable to speak for nervousness, Diana Bridgerton simply stared at her Prince. Though she stared at him with such emotion, such longing and hope, that words were not needed.

"Lady Bridgerton, would you be so kind as to grant me the opportunity to take a stroll in your lovely gardens with the Miss Bridgerton?" Asked Friedrich formally.

That could mean only one thing.

Violet was left momentarily speechless with delight, Colin and Benedict caught each other's gaze and grinned silently, and Eloise's mouth fell open in what could only be described as a most unladylike manner.

Diana found herself flushed and feverish.

For sure, the thought of marrying the Prince was a great honour, and he was kind and intelligent and loving. But she started to feel sick inside.

Was she ready?

In accepting his offer she would become the heir to one of the most powerful countries in the world. Her children would be... kings?

Her mother must have noticed Diana's distress for her face morphed into a more serious expression.

"Perhaps," she started, "you might return tomorrow morning, your highness? Not that we wish to put off your... walk around the gardens. Only, it is quite late and I'm sure that Diana is tired and - well - ."

The Prince caught on immediately to Violet's intentions. He himself could see the pale complexion that had taken over Diana and, whilst he felt a little hurt and concerned to know that she was so feverish about his - walk with her, he understood the anguish and emotional torment that they had both undergone that evening.

And so, with a polite nod and a kind smile, he replied that this was an excellent idea and that nine o'clock would be fine with him, if that suited the Lady?

This direct address though proved to be too much for Diana and she suddenly leapt from her seat and ran from the room, hardly making it to the bathroom before she threw up violently.

Oh! What she would have given to have had Daphne there to comfort her!

Inside the drawing room, Colin and Eloise were left to show the Prince out as Benedict and their mother fled after the girl.

"This has been rather eventful," remarked Friedrich with a grin as the trio wandered through the hall towards the front entrance of Bridgerton House.

"Yes, I'm sorry about all of-" began Benedict, although he was deftly cut off by Eloise's incessant questioning.

"What did my brother say?" She asked eagerly.

Friedrich was a little taken aback by her forward-ness, but nonetheless made to respond, only to be cut off by the girl.

"Was he angry? What did you say? Did he say yes? Are you going to be married? Oh, I should hate to be married! I can't think of anything worse!"

"Eloise!" Chastised Benedict, swatting her head with his hand. "I must apologise for my sister, she can get a little overexcited about these things." He paused for a moment, then continued to speak in a whisper, "did he say yes?"

Friedrich could no longer contain his mirth at the Bridgerton siblings and their silliness.

"Yes. The viscount said yes," he spoke proudly. "Although I hope you can keep that information to yourselves until I am able to ask the lady in question. From what I saw just now she may not even accept my offer." His voice was twinged with hurt, but Benedict was quick to rectify the misunderstanding on his part.

"Do not concern yourself, she's only nervous. Now, I do believe that is your carriage. Till tomorrow then!"

And with that, the Prince was bundled into his carriage and sent of in the direction of the palace, leaving Benedict and Eloise Bridgerton to gossip away about their news.