Chapter twenty eight - a much needed return

Diana Bridgerton’s wish was granted early the next morning at exactly 5.50 when a maroon and black carriage bearings the Hastings crest rolled into the street, coming to a halt outside the Bridgerton residence.

While the family had been expecting the Duke and Duchess’ arrival, they had not anticipated their coming until at least Sunday - and it was now a Thursday.

Nonetheless, the were most welcome. Especially by her twin who, despite their fallings out over the past months, was now more desperate to see Daphne than ever.

She knew that no one else would be able to steady her nerves and calm her the way her sister did.

Daphne was good like that.

And it seemed that these feelings were mutual between the pair. For, as soon as they had entered the house, Daphne strode up the stairs and burst into her sister’s room, jumping onto the bed and embracing her in a tight hug.

Simon was left quite baffled by his wife’s sudden absence and simply followed a rather sleepy Anthony into the drawing room.

“Daphne? What are you doing here?” Mumbled Diana, still very much asleep.

It took a moment for the fog to clear and for Diana to truly take in her sister’s presence.

“Daphne!” She exclaimed, much more vibrantly, “by Jove! We did not expect you till Sunday!”

The girl in question simply hugged her sister tighter as she replied.

“We decided to come to town a little early, and I cannot tell you how pleased I am that we did. Mama said that you were ill yesterday?”

Diana blushed slightly and pulled away from Daphne, making room for her beside her on the bed.

“Yes, although it’s nothing I’m sure.”

Daphne refused to accept this and started feeling her forehead for a temperature.

“Are you quite certain? Mama said that it was rather severe,” Diana struggled not to laugh at how maternal Daphne was becoming. It was almost unseemly, as if-

“You’re with child?” It was more of a statement than a question, and Daphne’s face fell into shock at the suggestion.

“How on earth did you know?”

“I’m you’re sister, I know everything!”

Daphne shook her head with a quiet chuckle and her twin’s response.

“Yes, you are correct. But don’t try and divert my attention from the subject at hand. Have you felt feverish at all?”

Seeing that there was no way around the topic, Diana Bridgerton decided to have some fun toying with her sister.

“Oh yes!” She declared, “and faint - I feel ever so faint at times.”

Daphne’s expression morphed into one of immense concern.

“And - and my stomach feels all churned up! And then sometimes I do become very flushed - although - that’s only-“

“Diana good god! We must get a doctor to attend to you, you sound quite unwell!” Exclaimed her sister who was, by this point, most worried indeed for Diana’s welfare.

Alas, she found herself unable to keep up the joke any longer and decided to divulge the truth.

Shifting a little in her seat on the bed, Diana Bridgerton’s expression morphed into a more serious one.

“Daphne?” she asked, “you need not concern yourself calling for a doctor as I believe I know exactly what my... ailment is.”

She took a deep breath in before continuing. After all, Diana had never actually said the words aloud before.

“I think I am in love - no. I know I am in love... with Freddie.”

A small gasp escaped from Daphne mouth.

“Prince Friedrich? I knew it! And what of him? What has he said? Has he told you of his feelings? Has he made any decla-“

Diana cut her sister off before she could ask any more questions, knowing that Daphne would continue forever if she could.

“No. I have not told him anything, although I am so very afraid,” she confessed.

Daphne looked at her with a confused expression.

“He wishes to take a walk with me today - I’m sure you can guess why. But I - I - I would be a Princess? Isn’t that ridiculous? Me? I cannot think of anyone more ill suited to such a position, and everyone knows it! That is why Whistledown wrote what she did. That is why he wanted to choose you instead!”

Diana had now worked herself into a torrent of emotions, tears spilled over the edges of her eyes and poured down her cheeks. Sobs racked through her body as she clung to her sister.

She knew she was overreacting, but Diana could not help but feel afraid. This was such a monumental step. Was she ready?

“You are to hard on yourself. Besides, you will have plenty of time to grow into the role. You do not think that I became a perfect duchess overnight do you? No! Gosh, I made so many mistakes. But I have learnt from them.”

Daphne slowly ran her fingers through her sister’s hair, pausing occasionally to rub her back.

“Do you love him?” She asked quietly.

“Yes.”

“Then you have nothing to fear,” came Daphne’s simple reply.

***

Dear readers,

This chapter is really rather short so my apologies for that, it’s lovely weather and I’ve been taking the opportunity to spend some time outside.

I hope you’re all well! Feel free to leave any comments about what you like or dislike.

Also, out of interest, I’d love to know where all my readers are from?

Yours faithfully

Valentina