chapter sixteen - a talk with the prince

After finishing dinner, Teddy, Augustus and the Princess chose to take an evening walks through the palace gardens whilst the Prince and Diana engaged in their little ‘conversation.’

The Bridgerton had spent almost all of the meal troubling herself with thoughts of what it might be that he wished to speak to her about.

Somewhere, deep in the back of her mind, a voice was repeatedly telling her that it had something to do with Prince Friedrich.

She hoped not.

She had endeavoured her absolute hardest to not think of him and now, she was once again finding her mind plagued with images of him.

Having now been left to themselves, Prince Hektor led her down one of the many ornate corridors of the palace and into the throne room.

The throne room was probably the most extravagant room - no, hall - she had ever witnessed. It was huge and everything was decorated in white and gold. She thought that if she should die in that moment she would be content indeed, for nothing could ever surpass the majesty of this room.

Despite its aura, Diana was at a loss for why he would bring her to this room to have what she anticipated being a private conversation.

The Prince slowly walked toward the podium on which two thrones were seated. Taking her by the hand, he led her to one and gestures for her to sit.

Once the two had made themselves relatively comfortable (for it was not easy to be comfortable on a chair made entirely of gold and amethyst), he spoke.

“Not long ago I received a letter from a dear friend of mine. He declared that he had met a young lady of respectable position who had caught his heart. Now, I should first tell you that this friend of mine does not easily fall into the trap of love. Indeed, I do not think he has ever loved another until now.” Here the Prince paused to allow his words to be absorbed.

After a small inclination of Diana’s head he continued.

“This friend of mine told me that he wished to marry the young lady in question. I forgot to mention but he is someone of great... esteem.”

He now turned to look at Diana properly and, when he did, she noticed a look of utter seriousness was on his face.

“A fortnight ago he sent me another letter. This time to tell me that he was still very much in love and that he had asked his aunt for permission to marry the lady in question. For you see, this man was far from home and she was his coldest relative. Do you follow me, my lady?”

Diana could do little more than nod her head.

“Please tell me so directly.”

The poor Bridgerton girl was beginning to feel quite overwhelmed. She knew exactly what the Prince was alluding to, he had hardly been subtle.

“Yes, your highness. I follow.”

“Excellent. He told me, quite to my upset, that he had asked for permission and that it had been denied. I think you understand that men such as him and I are not so fortunate in who we get to marry. We rarely get to choose.”

Here he paused once again, well aware that this was a lot for his guest to take in.

“After declaring his affections, I am told that his aunt - rather cruelly I might add - demanded he choose a more appropriate bride. Someone who might better fill the role of a Princess. If his letter is to be believed, that young lady was your sister.”

Diana did not realise it at first, but as he spoke a small tear made its way down her face.

She tried to maintain her composure, but being told she was not good enough for the man she loved stung like alcohol on a wound.

The Prince leaned over and wiped the stray tear from her face.

“He has gone to his parents. He has gone to demand that they let him marry you.”

At this, Diana felt a fire burn in her stomach. Flames of hope.

“Upon receiving his letter, I took the opportunity to invite both him and his parents to Athens. Coincidentally, this was but a few days prior to Augustus’ letter informing me of your own visit”

He broke into a small chuckle here.

“You can imagine my intrigue at the thought of entertaining both of you in my palace at once.”

“You say he loves me?” Diana questioned, though her voice came out faltered and quiet. “But we hardly know each other.”

The Prince smiled with a melancholy look.

“Love knows now bounds, Miss Bridgerton.”

At this something passed between them. An understanding, perhaps. An understanding that everything would be done to secure her happiness. For a moment, Diana felt as if she knew the Grecian Prince as dearly as her own brothers. Indeed, she saw a lot of Colin in him.

“Your highness, please excuse me. You must understand that this is a lot to take in - last I was aware the Prince held no affection for me. And now you are telling me quite the opposite! You can imagine that I have much to process.”

“Of course,” he replied kindly, rising from his seat and offering her his arm before leading the Bridgerton back through the corridors of the palace toward the wing where she and her companions were staying.

The two walked in a contented silence as she tried desperately to sort her muddled mind.

***

My dear readers,

An interesting conversation I think. How will Diana react when she meets Friedrich’s parents? And more importantly - how will they react?

Hopefully more kindly than the Queen! Can you believe she was so cruel?

Honestly, it’s hardly surprising considering the times.

I started working on a Harry Potter fanfic today because I finished all my school work early. I have been so productive recently and I hope you have all been too!

Yours truly

Valentina