chapter eight - honest discussions

“I am so sorry my love” said Violet as she strode across the room to engulf her daughter in a hug.

Benedict lay down his paintbrush and sat down beside the girl on the rug he had been painting minutes prior.

“Do you think he really likes her? Well he must do if he gave her such finery. I imagine the Queen told him I am unsuitable as a Princess - after all I am only a Pearl and Daphne is a diamond!”

Diana was halted in her rambling by her mother who told hold of her hands and shushed her.

“Diana do not underestimate yourself. You are intelligent and accomplished and ambitious and creative - these are all widely sought after qualities” her mother attempted to reassure her.

But Diana’s response was a bitter one. “I may be all those things but I am not pretty.”

At hearing this remark Benedict’s heart shattered. He drew her in to his chest and tightened his arms around her, placing his chin on the crown of her head.

“Anna you are beautiful I swear it. And if the Queen does not think that you are good enough for Friedrich then that is her loss.”

“I hate Daphne” came her harsh reply.

“Do not hate her Diana, for you are sisters which is a stronger relation than anything else. She knows not of your love for the Prince and I do not think that she herself has any such feelings toward him. She is quite captivated by the Duke, I am sure she was flattered by the gift but that does not mean she has ruined your chances with a man whom you are clearly much taken with.”

“That is exactly what it means.”

Diana knew she was wallowing in self pity and she was well aware that it was not a pretty look but quite frankly she did not care. She had every right to be upset. How dare her sister - her TWIN sister - steal the  affections of the Prince when she was already aware of her own feelings.

‘Urgh, perfect Daphne’ thought Diana, ‘everyone’s favourite.’

Benedict could see the rabbit hole down which his sister’s mind was spiralling and he was concerned as to where is might lead should he not stop her.

He knew, however, that it would be entirely impossible for Diana to truthfully speak her mind in front of her mother - as much as it pained him to ask her to leave them.

“Mother, perhaps you might allow me a moment alone with Diana?” He tried to sound as kind as possible but he still felt guilty at the look of hurt that phrased Violet’s features. She wanted desperately to comfort her daughter, but she knew what was best.

“Of course. Diana, I’ll be waiting outside.”

She pressed a chaste kiss to the top of Diana’s forehead and then left the room swiftly and silently.

“What Daphne did was entirely immoral! Has she no respect for my humour and regard within society? I-“

Diana was cut off in the middle of ranting her grievances by a serious looking Benedict.

“Sister listen to me. Daff has had a disagreement with the Duke of Hastings and I fear that the Prince’s actions today (although unsighted by the Queen) may have inspired her to use the Prince to regain the Duke’s affection. You know our sister, she has always been one for agency - especially when it comes to marriage. But she will not involve him if she finds out the true extent of your feelings toward the man. You must tell her.”

Diana looked up at him and was relieved to see those comforting eyes that she had so often turned to for support.

“Do you really believe that Ben?” Came her whispered response.

“With all my heart.”

*****

I just want to say that I hope you all know I do not wish to slander Daphne in this novel - she is unaware of her sister’s affections for the Prince and is also blinded by her love for the Duke.

I adore Daphne’s character and honestly find rather a lot of similarities between the two of us so please don’t think this is a story where I am pitting women against each other.

That is not the sort of behaviour I would ever encourage and, when we live in a world that is so oppressive of women, I would far prefer to show strong female bonds than negative ones!

Feminist rant over!

V x