chapter nine - telling the truth

That evening, after taking dinner in her room, Diana Bridgerton reluctantly wandered down the stairs to her sister’s bedroom.

Daphne was sat at her dressing table, combing through her hair. The room was perfectly neat and tidy - an absolute reflection of Daphne herself - which greatly juxtaposed Diana’s own room, filled with books, paper, manuscripts and several hairpins, the elder twin was not what one would call tidy.

Upon hearing the door to her room open Daphne Bridgerton turned to greet the visitor. Noticing that it was Diana she plastered a large smile on her face, partially in sympathy for whatever had upset her sister, and partially in delight at seeing her moving about.

“Are you feeling better, Di? Benedict told me you were not well earlier.”

Diana sighed in response and began looking through Daphne’s bookshelf. Anything to prevent her from having to face her twin.

“Yes, I do feel a little better thank you.”

“Well that is good.”

The tension between them had never been so weighty. In fact, it was rare for the two to be unable to discuss the innermost workings of their mind. But Diana struggled at the prospect of revealing her secret.

“I hear you and the Duke are not on such good terms as you once were.”

Diana had not meant for the comment to offend, but as she saw a brief flash of hurt pass her sister’s features she could not help but feel a twang of pleasure mixed with her guilt.

Perhaps Daphne might begin to feel some of her own hurt.

“Yes, it seems he is not as fond of me as we had anticipated.” Came her cordial reply.

The elder Bridgerton turned to face her, “You forget, sister, that I know of your rouse. But I think perhaps it is not a rouse anymore. Forgive me, but I believe you have feelings for the Duke of Hastings.”

Daphne was left speechless for a moment at Diana’s crude observation.

“I dare say you are right. But it is no matter for he does not feel the same. So I must find myself another man who will take me as his wife.”

This was her opportunity to say something. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to but at the same time Diana Bridgerton was well aware that she would most likely not be granted another chance to speak.

“Daphne, must you go for the Prince?”

Having now returned to combing through her hair, her twin halted the movement and frowned in the mirror.

“Do you have an objection to the match? Please say if you do, you know I value your opinion above all else.”

Diana sighed and sat down on the edge of her sister’s bed. This was far harder than she had anticipated.

“Daff, I like him.”

Her sister chuckled and smiled at her in the reflection of the mirror.

“So do I, he is easy to like I think.” Daphne’s voice was as calm and genuine as ever, but Diana found herself growing angry - it was as if her sister were mocking her but she knew that this would never be the case.

“No Daphne. I like him. I. Like. Him.”

The girl gasped, acknowledging what her sister had said. Her face dropped from the gentle smile that had previously inhabited it to a small frown of guilt.

She slowly put down her comb.

“I am so sorry. I did not know and I - I enforced his affection today, you must think me terrible!”

Diana could see the regret on Daphne’s voice, however, there was only one word she could focus on. One single word which hurt her so unintentionally.

“His affection?” She whispered.

But Daphne still heard the comment.

“I am sure it was more the Queen’s doing. Every member of London society knows how much he adores you. I did not mean it I-“

She was too late. Diana had fled from the room, slamming the door behind her so hard that they could most likely have heard her across town in the palace.

She was making her escape to her bedroom when she passed Anthony in the corridor. Upon noticing her distress he caught up to her and pulled the girl into his chest. He knew exactly what ailed her.

“I have to leave Anthony, please let me leave this wretched place. I long to be free, I long for-“ suddenly she remembered Colin’s proposed tour, how he had told her of Athens. Of the great Grecian temples and gardens. “I long to go to Greece, Anthony please!”

The viscount was so pained by her anguish. He knew there was nothing left for her in London - certainly not during this season - so he merely nodded. He would let her be free, and she would return all the happier for it. The Prince long forgotten.

****

Have I managed to update all three stories in one day? Yes.

Have I also managed seven hours of school work and my additional Latin and Greek homework? Yes.

Am I very proud of the fact? Yes.

Aha, I'm not usually so productive! Anyway, I do hope you're all well.

Valentina x