Shopping Trip

Like he had promised, the President had left a list for me in the morning. It was tape to my door. I think he left it short on purpose since he knew Oliver wanted me to go with him to the mall.

-Vacuum the main floors carpets.

-Wipe  down the mirrors.

-Dust the bookshelf in his office.

-Mop the kitchen.

That was it for today. There was also instructions on where to find the cleaning supplies. They were in the kitchen closet. I looked at the clock. It was 9:02 am right now.

When I went down to the kitchen I ran into Oliver. He had a cup of coffee and a half eaten bagel in hand.

"Let me know when you're done and then we'll go." was all he said before going up to his room.

I set to work in order of the list. I vacuumed the big white and grey carpet, then cleaned the mirrors in the bathrooms and the living room.

When I went up to the presidents study I was nervous. He seemed like he was very well kept and proper so I had to be careful not to break anything.

When I opened the door I was surprised to see him sitting behind his desk. I had thought he had left or just wouldn't be in there.

"O-oh, I'm sorry! I-if I had known I would have knocked." I apologized. "I-I'll come back later." I didn't want to disturb him. When I was about to close the door he stopped me.

"It's alright." He was clicking away on his computer like usual. His cold gold eyes cut to me. I swallowed my nerves.

He pointed to the bookshelf across from him. "You can start with that one." and then went back to his computer.

I went to the shelf he pointed to. It was filled with books about all sorts of things. There were a few knickknacks here and there that looked expensive.

I'd have to be careful with those.

I started dusting. The President was still behind me, typing away. The situation made me... Uneasy. To work with someone who might be looking over your shoulder? It was very nerve wrecking. I decided to just focus on dusting and try to finish as fast as possible so I could leave.

I was almost done when I realized the clicking of the key pad had stopped. Did he leave? I turned to check. He was just sitting there, watching me with his golden gaze.

Did I do something wrong? Why was he watching me now?

"You missed a spot." he said.

"I-I did?" I thought I was being pretty thorough. "W-where?" I turned back to the shelf, trying to find the spot he was talking about.

He stood from his seat and made his way around his desk. He sauntered over, hands in his pockets. He came to stand directly behind me. He bent down slightly and I held my breath.

Why was he so close? I could feel his breath on the back of my neck.

"Right here." he took my hand that was holding the duster. He directed it over to the back side of a knickknack that was in front of me.

Why didn't he just tell me that? He had me nearly pinned to the shelf, sandwiched between his body.

"O-oh. I-i'm sorry." I mumbled out.  He let go of my hand and I lightly dusted the decoration.  Even when I was done he still didn't move. I turned around to face him. He just stared, observing my face. Before I could ask if he needed anything else he spoke.

"Be carful at the mall. It's a big place and Oliver has been... distracted lately. He might lose a short fellow like you in the crowds."

"I'm not short. I'm average." I pouted. He smirked, clearly finding my annoyance funny. He stepped away to gather something off his desk. "I assure you, you're anything but." He teased. "I mean it though, stay close to the others while you're out. Weather you like it or not you still have a target on your back from the other students who begged for your place." Whatever he grabbed he put in a bag and slung it over his shoulder.