Chapter 5

The group and I are currently sitting in the middle of the Highway in Pennsylvania, Amish country. "Amish zombies. Really? Really?!" Addy exclaimed. "They tried to quarantine themselves from the rest of society. Keep the Zs from spreading the infection." Garnett said.

"That was before we knew Romero had it right. We were all carrying the virus. Don't matter who, where, or how you died." Mack added. "Night if the Living Dead. Great movie, sucky reality. You know what I don't get, if the Zs didn't spread the virus, how did we all get infected?" Addy asked.

"Best guess I heard, it was spread by birds. Some kind of parasite piggybacked on the bird flu. Stays dormant till you die." Garnett answered. "You know, take it from someone who knows first hand. Other than the fact that they find brains delicious, when it comes to zombies nobody knows nothin'." Murphy said.

"My turn. Have we just met? Thank you." Murphy said grabbing toilet paper. And at that point I just turned my attention to the conversation in the bed of the truck while I hopped in.

"I'm tellin' ya, there ain't nothin there. No thoughts, no memories. No souls. Nothin'." Doc stated. "Well they're not dead. They want something." Cassandra said. "Yeah. Brains." Doc replied. "You can't want something if you're not conscious, if you don't have a soul." Cassandra said.

"I mean what if they are still there. Y'know just trapped, there conscious but they can't control what they do. Like the virus just takes over their body." I said making my self known in the conversation. "When my pa was wounded, he told me to tie him up before he turned. Made me promise to show him mercy when he died. Kill the brain ya know. I couldn't do it. I couldn't hurt my pa, no matter what he'd become. I stared into his eyes for the longes time, just looking for some sign he was still in there." 10k said.

"Did you see anything?" Cassandra asked. 10k shook his head. "What did you do?" Doc asked. "I killed it!" 10k said kinda angry. "Damn, kid. You had to put down your own dad?" Doc asked. "Didn't kill him. Killed it." 10k said sternly. "But if it's not alive then how did you kill it?" Cassandra asked. "Piked it. Right here." 10k said while pointing the knife in his hand to his forehead. "My first kill. I always wished he knew, you know, somehow knew that l kept my promise." He continued. After that we got loaded in the truck and drove off.

After a while a small punch buggy pulled out behind us and followed. Tap tap. "Humans! Six o'clock!" Doc yelled. "I see them." Warren said. "Is that more of your cannibal friends?" Doc asked. "No. Something else." Cassandra answered. "Stop here!" Mack yelled.

A group of Zs stood in the middle making us have to stop. "Where he going? Hey kid!" Doc said. Warren and Garnett were talking inside the truck. "Hey check out their feet. There chained." I said warning. "Ok people be cautious." Garnett said while getting out.

We got out of the truck with our wrapping out. Just then the Volkswagen came pulling out. "Hold it right there!" One of the "Zs" said. "Alright, not drop your weapons or die right where you stand. Put down your weapons or eat brains." He said before 10k shot a Z startling them. "God, I love that kid." Doc whispered.

"Now, we just want the vehicle. Alright? So give us the truck and we'll let you live till does another day." Zombie guy said. "Give then the truck!" Murphy yelled. "Don't give them a goddamn thing!" Warren responded. "Do the math Garnett. We have other priorities. Give them the damn truck." Murphy stated.

"Listen to your friends there. Nobody wants to die. But we're talking that truck." The bandit stated. "Say the word, Garnett." Mack said. "Let them have it." Garnett said after a minute. We got ready to shoot, I had already shot the long haired fella in the head. When Garnett yelled "The truck! Let them have the truck. Sorry about your friend." "Smart move. Alright guys, let's go! And leave the junker! They're not gonna get very far." He said while running to the truck.