Chapter 6

Over the past few months that I have been with the group I have really gotten close with them. Garnett and I talk all the time and he's become a father figure. Warren teaches me how to fix the truck and a way around an engine every time it breaks down, she really has been a mother to me. She always checks to see if I've eaten. If I feel ok, and if I'm comfortable.

   Doc is teaching me a lot about medicine. And I'm teaching him a lot about how to assess an injury. Murphy and I play cards a lot, and talk about the stress of the whole humanity on his shoulders. I've become his personal therapist.

   10k and I always see who can outshoot each other. I obviously always win, we have become like brother and sister. Cass, Addy and I talk all the time. About something important, or nothing at all. We really have become sisters. We're practically inseparable. Mack and I talk occasionally but we haven't really talked and I'm fixing that. I want him and I to be close.

   We were somewhere in Illinois I think. Addy and Mack are outside playing around. Warren and Garnett were in the kitchen talking. Cass was asleep on the couch and 10k was in the recliner in the living room.

   Doc, Murphy and I are playing cards. And I am beating them both. I don't know how cause Murphy's cheating. "I will see your Vicodin and raise you one tetracycline." Doc said to us. "Call." Murphy said. "Three of a kind." Doc said putting his cards down. "Full house. Aces high." Murphy said grabbing the pills. "Uh-huh. Royal flush. Hand em over." I said smugly.

   "Man." Doc said. "That's five hands in a row. If you're gonna continue to use my deck you need to quit pulling cards out your ass." Doc stated. "Oh boo hoo." Murphy said. "Murphy I thought you said you were the kings of cards. How's it feel to be dethroned?" I asked. Murphy just gave me a sarcastic smile before shuffling the deck so we could play again.

   "Hey shhh. Hold on, he's back on." Garnett said. "Friends, I'm talking about a mean weather coming on fast. Some reports of tornados. Find shelter and take cover. It's dangerous out there. More so than usual. Now back to the soothing sounds of the Apocalypse." Citizen Z said over the radio. "You know after he was so wrong about that chopper weatherman's a pretty good job for that geek." Murphy said.
——————————————
Warren's POV:
Garnett and I walked outside to watch for Zs while the others rest. "I've had worse days." I said to him. "It's not a bad set up." He replied. I then walked down the steps with the broom in my hand. "You know, I'm really starting to feel at home here. I'm thinking about putting a barbecue right here." Garnett said pointing next to where a Z was on the electric fence. "This one needs to be flipped." I said looking at the Z while giving Garnett my cup. I then stabbed the broom handle into the Zs head and pushed it off.

   I grabbed my cup from Garnett and clanked it with his. "I really like what they did with they did with the landscaping, the flowers, everything. So homey." He said to me. "Yeah. Too bad they're dead." I replied. "So how do you feel about Ellie?" He asked me. "Ellie and I have really gotten close over the few months she's been with us. She's really becoming the daughter I never had." I replied. "Yeah, I know what you mean. She's really grown on me too." He said. We then started walking over to the front of the yard talking about sneaking off with someone.

   "Can't remember the last time I snuck off with somebody." Garnett said to me. "I can't remember the last time I wanted to." I replied before giving my cup to him and stabbing the head of a zombie the flipping it off the fence. "You still think about him?" He asked. "Antoine? I try not to. And I never heard what happened, so there's not much point. What about you?" I asked him back.

   "I used to think about Amy and the kids everyday. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw the end all over again. It got to a certain point where I just gave up. Didn't care if I lived or died. And a funny thing happened. I didn't die. And with everything that's happened, it's been harder and harder to remember the past. I guess that's a good thing, right?" He asked. "Guess so." I answered. "Are we close by your hometown?" He asked me. "I know what you're thinking, and the answer is no." I said to him. "Just swing by on our way west." He said to me.