56. my shivered bones

Loki lost his leg, and it was Thor's fault. Or, in his belief, Thor was the one to blame.

Things were not easy for the both of them.

///

I've always wanted to write this. I told myself I'd give him a break for a chapter or two without putting him through hell every time I write something but oh well! What can I say, I'm terribly bad at self control. So here it is, another hurt/comfort angst with hurt Loki (as always)

Trigger warning for injuries, amputation, mentions of suicide.

///

Thor cough up blood and smoke in his throat, and had to grit his teeth tight to stop himself from screaming as the movement doubled the pain in his chest. Something shifted within his shoulder -- something hard and metallic -- and when he looked he learned he got a three-inch-or-so length of a pipe of some sort stabbed right through his skin from the collapse earlier.

They were in a building, he and Loki. One minute everything was fine, and the next it all went to hell. Thor didn't know how, but there was a loud boom, then, next thing he knew the ceiling above them was crumbling down as the floor beneath them started to give out.

The impact knocked him out cold for a moment. When he next opened his eyes it was to the intense pain threatening to pull him right back toward unconsciousness. He groaned, trying to take in his surroundings; it was all dark, the air tasted like smoke and debris. Then it clicked; Loki. He was nowhere to be found. You were with him before --

"Loki?" Thor called, hissing at the pain but trying his best to ignore them. His voice hoarse and not as loud as he had hoped, though he had to keep calling. "Loki? Can you hear me? Whe - where are you? Loki?"

Silence answered him. Panic began rising up his stomach when he realised he didn't know if his brother was alive. "Loki? Lo--"

Someone's coughing caught Thor's attention. It didn't sound far away.

"Loki?" Thor asked, hope flooding through like an ocean wave.

"Here," came his brother's quiet voice. It sounded too weak for Thor's liking, there was pain in it and Thor felt a pang that he knew wasn't from his own physical injuries.

"Are you -- are you hurt?" He asked again. His hand coming up to grab the pipe on his shoulder and, even though he knew it was a bad idea, pulling the thing off in one quick movement. Hot white pain shot through him, and it took him everything not to scream. Warm liquid flooding down his front, no doubt blood. Thor ignored them and started trying to move to where Loki's voice came from. It wasn't so far. He couldn't see, for everything was dark, but he could follow his brother's voice. "Tell me are you hurt?"

"I'm... I don't, I don't know," Loki said. Thor heard fear in his voice and he tried to move -- to crawl -- faster, despite his own wounds. "I can't move, Thor." He added, this time there was panic creeping in Loki's voice. "I can't -- I -- I'm stuck. I'm trapped. I can't -- I can't feel my leg. I can't --"

"Shhh," Thor reached him, just before he could panic and risk hurting himself. "It's okay, it's okay. I'm here. Try not to move, all right?" He cradled Loki's head in his lap.

"I -- I can't feel my leg." Loki said, this time the fear in his voice was vivid.

Thor looked and held his breath; there was a huge chunk of concrete crashing Loki's left leg from his knee down, trapping it. That and there was blood everywhere. "Can you..." He tried keeping the panic out of his voice, the last thing Loki needed was to know Thor, too, was afraid. "Can you use your magic?"