16. I've got you, brother

I'd like to say thank you to ralphwantsafamily from Instagram for giving me the idea for this story! I had so much fun writing it :)

///

Three years after they defeated Thanos and the galaxies were safe, Thor thought he had lost his brother for good, that was - however - until he was proven wrong.... or not?

~~~

"Are you sure? Are you really sure it's him?"

"Well, ask your own eyes." Natasha shrugged, sliding the file across the table to him, the brown folder came to a stop when Thor placed a hand on top of it. The God of Thunder still eyed her skeptically as thought he was still convinced this was some kind of a joke - a cruel joke - until he torn the paper open. Inside were pictures, blurry pictures that definitely taken without the person's knowledge, but Thor could still remember that raven hair anywhere. Thor was genuinely surprised by Loki's choice of clothing. His brother was always picky and classy when it came to his appearance, but from the pics, he was wearing just torn shirt and baggy pants. His hair was messy, and he looked... dirty, fucked up and paranoid. Even from a candid shot, Thor could see fear in his eyes, like a scaredy-cat. It was so unlike him! Though how Loki looked wasn't what Thor cared about right now. The Thunderer just felt as though he'd been punched in the face, knocked out of breath by the merely fact of Loki being alive. For a whole thirty seconds Thor was speechless. He couldn't do anything except for staring intensely at those photos in his hands, like doing so would somehow make the person magically pop out of the image.

"I... I don't understand. How... how is he..." Thor knew one of Loki's favorite things to do was avoiding his brother's face, but... but this was a bit mean, wasn't it? Even for the God of Mischief. He must have known Thor was suffering. Why didn't he come to him? Why. How - how did he survive? Thor saw Thanos killed him. He - questions were running through Thor's head all at once and he felt like he was going to start screaming.

Suddenly, Thor stood up and stomped out of the room. The new found information - of Loki actually being alive, but wouldn't come to see him for three fucking years, was a lot. Thor needed time to clear his mind. And to think of a plan to approach his greasy brother without giving the mischievous God any chance of slipping away again.

┈┈ ❋ ┈┈

Three years earlier.

Pain was the only thing he knew, the only thing that made him aware he was alive. Loki tried to hold back his moan, his scream, any sound that'd satisfy them knowing they'd successfully torn him apart. But it was impossible. When they cut him again, the agonizing howl escaped his throat as he curled into himself on the floor, in the pool of his own blood. Wounded. Caged. Defenseless. They didn't take away his magic completely, no, that'd be too merciful. Instead, they allowed him the slightest bit of his power, and when Loki tried to heal himself, the magic was snatched away from his hands the moment before he could reach it, and then, they'd laugh at him. They'd all laugh at his struggle. Hours felt like eternity until they'd finally leave him alone for the night. Loki never had the strength to lift himself up from the cold ground of his dark cell.

How did he even got himself in this situation? The last thing Loki remembered was his death. Death by the hand of the Mad Titan. He died saving his brother, so why was he here? Was this place Hel? Loki wanted to laugh, instead he ended up coughing more blood down his cut lips and hugging himself tightly as though doing so would soothe the pain.

As the broken God cried himself to sleep, every night, his only prayer were to Thor. He didn't know if his brother was alive, but he prayed Thor would come and rescue him. He prayed to the Allfather that Thor heard his voice because here, in the dark, he was all on his own and he was so scared. He needed his brother by his side to hold him, to tell him it was all going to be okay.