22. drown my woes in a lake of fire

Warning; Endgame spoilers in the chapter so if you haven't seen the movie yet, you can save this for later (unless you don't mind being spoiled. The choice is yours!)

┈┈ ┈┈

Months after the Avengers defeated Thanos, and Thor tagged along with the sweet rabbit and his friends through the galaxy he got a call from Earth; a call that would change everything forever.

///

"You mean I'm the captain?"

"No, I mean I'm the captain,"

"Hey, Thor." Thor was too busy discussing with Peter Quill about the same old topic to hear his name being called by the sweet rabbit. "Thor!" This time when Rocket raised his voice it grabbed Thor's attention.

"What?" Thor turned to look.

"For you," The rabbit held out a phone - not exactly a phone but a communication device.... well, a space phone. "From Earth." Rocket added.

The second Thor took the device from Rocket the smile faded away from his face. Ever since Thor passed the great responsibility of the throne on to Valkyrie to rule New Asgard on Earth he told her not to call. Not that he wanted to shut her off, but Thor politely asked for times. She was a good friend and so were the others. The thing was; just by hearing from anyone related to his old life only reminded him of the memories he was trying to forget. The deep wound still fresh and raw. That's why he asked to be alone in the space with these friends who basically gave him a new life; a life that had nothing to do with his old one, a life where he could bury away his past and pretend they never existed.

"It's me." Thor said to the phone. He was tense and guarded.

"Thor," Spoke the voice from the other side. Thor recognized it to be Valkyrie's. There was a pause like she wasn't sure what to say or was searching for the right words. It only made the anxiety in Thor's chest grow; what if something went wrong, what if Thanos returned, what if-

"We need you back here." Her voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine...."

Thor could hear the wrongness in her voice. Maybe not wrongness but something he couldn't describe and it was there. She was definitely hiding something from him.

"What is it?" He asked, and heard her sighed.

"I- I don't know how. Maybe after we defeat him," Valkyrie avoided saying the name. Everybody avoided mentioning the name to Thor, knowing how Thor reacted every time he heard the name of the Mad Titan, "After we defeated him things are different. It seems the future's starting to change - no, the past. Everything he did become undone. Shit. I'm not making sense, am I?"

"Just say what it is." Thor was becoming impatient.

Though what the Valkyrie said next got him utterly speechless.

┈┈ ❋ ┈┈

New Asgard, Earth.

The ship landed gracefully on soft, green grass. Valkyrie was already there waiting for him, and so were Korg, Miek and Asgardians.

"Where is he?" Was the first thing Thor said as a way of saying hello. The way he stomped forward with that look on his face told her he wasn't going for a hug. "I swear if this is some kind of a joke-"

"It's not a joke." Said Val, "Like I said; we undid what he did." Then she looked Thor from head to toes, "I see you've lost some weight there. Fit again. Still keeping the beard? I'd get rid of it, if I were you-"