4. the sun will shine on us again

"What is it? What is it?!" The young God of Thunder asked with such eager and curiosity as he kept jumping up and down, trying to reach the crib.

"Not it, it's he. He's your brother, Loki" Frigga scoffed, getting down to lift Thor up so he could take a look at his brother.

Thor let out a whoa in awe. He found himself unable to take his eyes off of the sleeping baby in the crib "I have a brother?" Asked the older child, it sounded like he didn't even realise he had asked a question, too amazed by the infant in front of him.

"Yes, my son. Now, you have a little brother" Said Frigga. She could feel how excited Thor was, in a good way, and it made her happy her only biological son seemed to accept the other child Odin took, they took into their lives.

"I want to play with him!" Thor looked up at his mother. His muscles got so tensed by the excitement within him. He couldn't wait to teach Loki how to fight, how to follow his lead, how to be a good leader. He just couldn't wait to teach his brother everything he knew.

"Maybe later. He's sleeping" Frigga chuckled softly.

Apparently, Thor didn't take the rejection too well. His smile turned into a pout and his brows started furrowing "I want to play with him. NOWW!!" His voice raised. It wasn't that loud, but it was loud enough to wake the infant up. Before Frigga could say anything, the sound of a baby crying got both her and Thor's attention. Loki cried in the crib, his short and tiny limbs reaching up in the air, above his head, as he felt like he was in danger.

"See? You scared him" Frigga scolded, and the God of Thunder suddenly felt guilt.

Looking back down at his crying brother, Thor reached his hand down to grab Loki's "Don't be afraid, little brother. I will protect you"

I will protect you.

I will protect you.

.

.

.

.

I will protect you....

~~~

How did it end up like this? All Thor could think about was where went wrong as flashbacks and memories of his life with his brother came flooding through his head all at once. They grew up together, got the scars from the same playground. There were conflicts, there were fights, they walked different paths. Yet in the end, the roads they took led them together again. They fought side by side. None of them ever said it, but they never doubted they were always loved so deeply by one another. And the promise Thor made with his brother when they were so little, he could never forget it. On the contrary, it now came haunting him, and it would continue haunting him for as long as he drew breath. He promised. He promised he would protect Loki. He failed.

He failed Frigga.

He failed Loki.

He failed himself.

His brother was dead, and it was because of him. He did this. He killed Loki. Instead of sheltering him, all Thor did was watch as Thanos choked him to death. Now it was all too late. Crawling to Loki's body as the ship exploded was useless. No matter how many times he called his brother's name, how tight he'd cradle his brother's body against his chest, it wouldn't bring Loki back.

The God of Thunder couldn't care less about escaping, even if the fire was getting closer and closer. He couldn't care less about his own injuries, even if the blood kept pouring down his mouth. All Thor could care was Loki.