42. love is mean, and love hurts

Thor did not like Loki being in a romantic relationship with someone. Jealous? That would be silly. Overprotective? Loki wasn't a boy anymore. Still, there was this feeling gnawing at him, screaming at him something was wrong. Thor wasn't about to standby and watch.

Trigger warning for violence and abuse. It's not that explicit or graphic, but I just wanted to put it up here so you'd know what to expect. Anyway, did I tell you I feed on angst?

Original character; Svein. If you want to get a clear picture in your head about how he looks, google Zane Morgan. Or don't, if you're already a fan of Bates Motel!

///

"Loki?"

Loki stopped in his track. Thor was sure, even in the dark, he saw his brother shaking his head and cursing under his breath.

"What?" Loki turned to face him, and Thor reflectively studied Loki, scanning him from head to toe as though trying to find some wound, the source of bleed of some sort, but Loki wasn't bleeding, clearly wasn't dying. He'd been on another date he told he would come home three hours earlier.

"I thought you said you'd be back by ten," Thor narrowed his eyes, his voice hoarse.

"So I have a curfew now?" Loki raised his brows challengingly.

"I was worried about you. You know how Svein is. I don't trust him,"

"Why? Because he's not royalty? Because, in your and father's opinion, he's unfit for Asgard's palace?"

"You know why, Loki. We talked about this," Thor had to remind himself not to raise his voice. He didn't wish to wake Frigga up. Or Odin. The palace was enormous, yet their parents (especially their mother) seemed to always be alert every time they fell into an argument. Thor hated Svein. And it wasn't because he was dating Loki but the way he's changed Thor's brother, even if Loki refused to admit he's changed, Thor saw it.

Svein owned a brothel, known for his scandal of sex trafficking, illegal drug trade and all that. He was creepy, disturbing to say the least. Definitely not someone anyone would want to be trapped in a room with. And Loki just happened to choose him, out of all people. Although that wasn't what worried Thor the most, Thor had reasons to believe Svein abused his brother. Had always abusing him ever since the beginning of their relationship, and Loki was either too blind or too scared to ask for help.

"I'm not having this conversation with you," Loki said, his face blank. He tried to get past Thor so he could get to his chamber, he flinched reflectively, unconsciously yelped when Thor grabbed him by the arm.

Thor let go as if it burned when he saw the pain on Loki's face. He was sure he didn't grab Loki that hard, no way his simply touch could hurt. "What was that?" Thor asked, he studied Loki more thoroughly; Loki whose face turned pale then he recovered himself quickly with a fake cough, though he wouldn't quite look at Thor.

"Nothing," he said, voice quiet. "I've got to go,"

"No," Thor blocked his way. He didn't touch him this time, just looked. The way Loki shielded away and favoured his right arm, where Thor grabbed him earlier, were enough proof for Thor. "Roll up your sleeve," he said. Ordered.

"What? Why?"

"I said roll up your sleeve," Thor did raise his voice. He soon felt a pang of guilt in his chest when Loki flinched - which wasn't normal. Loki shouldn't be flinching and looking like he was trying so hard not to tremble like he believed Thor was going to do something... dreadful to him. "Loki," he said again, more gentle this time. And he hated it, hated that Loki had that look of a scared and cornered animal in his eyes. It felt wrong. This was wrong.