59. might the sun in darkness hide

Loki stopped talking and Thor had no idea what to do.

Good thing Tony knew a thing or two about post-traumatic stress disorder.

///

This was solely inspired by that thing that looked like a shock collar — whether or not it's a shock collar — we saw Loki wear in the trailer and the poster for his series!

Trigger warning for PTSD and mentions of torture.

Canon divergence in which Tony lives after Endgame. Can be hinted at pre Frostiron so he and Pepper were never together (no hate towards her. I just love me some Loki/Tony fix-it fic lol)

///

They had him. Thor was angry. He was in rage he saw red everywhere. His brother was taken away from him just right after Thor got him back. Loki was taken from him again.

First it was Loki's falling from the Bifrost. Thor blamed himself and was never able to convince his own mind that he couldn't have saved Loki that time. He thought, with pain spreading widely through his chest like a plague, he should've been faster to reach out, should've held onto Loki a bit tighter so he wouldn't slip away.

The second time was on Svartalfheim. Thor knew he was undeniably the one to blame. He took Loki there, exposed him to danger and in the end Loki faced the end of the Kurse's sword saving him. He blamed himself for walking away, leaving Loki's body there so carelessly even though he didn't have a choice. It didn't change the fact that it was his fault.

The third time was just as painful. Thor watched Loki die, again, saving him. Loki struggling in Thanos's dreadful grip, Loki suddenly going limp and still, and his body was just hanging there lifelessly. Thor watched Loki's body get tossed to the ground. He watched him stay where he was, unmoving. He remembered crawling to the body afterward, desperately clinging onto his brother's corpse as everything around him started to fall apart — the ship catching fire and Thor had thought, then, that nothing else mattered anymore with Loki gone. He hadn't thought about escaping to save his own life. He just held onto his dead brother until the explosion yanked them both apart.
When Thor woke on the Guardians Ship he believed Loki was gone for good.

But then Loki came back. Thor didn't know how, but as the fallen returned — Sam, Wanda, Peter, Bucky, T'Challa, Stephen, everyone — Loki was among them. And Thor never remembered being so happy.

That, however, was short-lived. Which led to the fourth time Thor lost Loki.

They told him HYDRA was behind Thor's brother's abduction. Thor didn't know who they were, but he knew he'd stop at nothing until he got Loki back.

He did get Loki back, after almost an entire year of searching and failing. In the end, with the continuous help of the Avengers, they managed to locate where Loki was kept; an abandoned factory in the middle of nowhere.
It was night and it was storming (which wasn't Thor's doing) when the team raided the place. Steve, Tony, Bucky and Sam took down the remaining HYDRA while Thor searched for a lost brother.

He found Loki in the basement. And really, Thor had witnessed thousands of gruesome sights — death and blood and everything — he stopped dead in his tracks at the doorway like he was without warning paralyzed. The sound he made in his throat sounded like a sob, could be a sob, though for the moment Thor forgot how to breathe. He was in rage, sure, but that emotion went away then replaced with something else — remorse, sadness, regret that it took him this long to find Loki — as he took in the details, the state his brother was in.

Loki didn't seem to be aware of Thor's presence. He was, Thor supposed, semi-conscious but was barely, if not at all, here. His eyes were open, although seemingly unseeing. It glued to nothingness as he laid on his side on the floor that, even in the absence of light, was covered in crimson fluid that couldn't be anything else other than blood. There were cuts and bruises that took up most — if not every — parts of his skin. Thor felt sickness rolling deep in his stomach, the fact he couldn't find a spot on Loki's body that was not wounded. His ankle was chained, too. His hair dampen and appeared to be stick to his face, covering most parts of it.