Chapter 9

Siena's POV

''No, you weren't interrupting anything.'' I said and got up. I noticed Daniel rolling his eyes so I nudged him in the leg in warning. I looked at the suitcases behind her and averted my eyes up.

''Did something happen, Riley?'' I asked and came closer to her.
''Well yes. The condo I had...well it is in the old building and the building is getting demolished. So I thought I could ask for help here. I just need a place to stay until I find another condo.'' She explained with hopeful eyes looking at me and Daniel.

''Of course. You can take any free room in here. Right, Daniel? I can help you unpack.'' I smiled. I was so excited with the idea of Riley staying with us.
''Yes, sure. You can stay here for the time being.'' Daniel shrugged.
''Thank you, big bro. Siena can you show me the room?'' She asked me. I nodded my head and helped her with suitcases.

I took her to the second biggest room after mine and Daniel's. She set the suitcases in the closet and ploped down on the bed.
''I feel so tired.'' She chuckled. I smiled and sat at the other side of her bed.
''How all of a sudden happened that your building was getting demolished?'' I asked confused.

''I don't know. Apparently, the building is old and there have been many issues with installations. I got note today that we have a week to pack our things and move out. I packed up today right away because I didn't have much stuff except my clothes and shoes.''
''Oh...well that's tough.'' I sighed.
''Thank God, I didn't pay the rent for this month. It's the beginning of the month anyway.'' She chuckled.
''I'm happy that you came living with us.'' I smiled.

''Well, I need to find another place soon so I hope I don't bother you for too long.'' She said certainly.
''Why is that? We love to have you stay with us. You don't have to look for another condo so soon.'' I explained.
''My friend, you obviously don't know Daniel yet. That guy left me on my own when I turned 18 and gave me the money to take care of myself. I have been living in that cheap condo for two years now. I have been taking care of myself with the payment I have from being the cook in the restaurant. I get paid well so I have enough for rent and food. I'm quite proud of myself, you know?'' She chuckled and shook her head.

''You are working as a cook? And you pay everything by yourself?'' I asked, really shocked.
''Yes. Why not?'' She looked at me confused. How could Daniel let this happen to his sister? While he is making millions every day, his own sister is struggling with money. No wonder she is so skinny when all she does is work for food and rent.

''Has Daniel ever helped you?'' I asked.
''Well, he did. Few times actually when I didn't have enough money for food because I was late with rent so all my payment went to rent. Asshole.'' She chuckled, rolling her eyes amused. I was disappointed in Daniel. I never imagined that he left his little sister to be on her own and do everything by herself while he enjoys new things with his money.

''I didn't know that Daniel is such a greedy person. I want to slap him so hard for doing this for you.'' I seethed and shot up from the bed.
''Chill, Siena. That's nothing new. And maybe he wants to let me live my own life like how I want. And I'm happy with being like this.'' She said. I didn't believe her. Her eyes were more honest than her words.
''Don't say that. He is your brother. He should take care of his little sister the best way he can. I will not let him be rude and cold to you anymore.'' I said.

Riley let go of a topic and asked me to help her. We unpacked her suitcases together and set all of her clothes and shoes in the closet. She was happy with how we organized her closet. It was soon the lunch time so we headed downstairs. Riley suggested to make lunch for three of us.

''We can cook meatballs and put tomato sauce over it. Then cook pasta.'' She said. I nodded my head and got ready to cook with her. She is really great cook. No wonder they hired her in the restaurant. I was taking plates from the upper cabinet when I felt arms around me. They were Daniel's. When I thought about what Riley told me, I frowned and removed from him.

I set the plates on the table and went to take the cutlery. I was ignoring him in the process but I did catch his confused look. I was feeling so disappointed and angry. When I thought about what Riley told me, I knew the reason for his actions. The jealousy he had towards her in the childhood is keeping him for getting closer to his sister. It may be some sort of a hatred that she didn't go through what he did. But that doesn't give him a reason to ignore her all the time and don't provide her with what she needs. For God's sake, she didn't have money for food.

We sat at the table and I put the food for me and Riley. When he understood that I won't set the plate for him too, he put the food by himself.
''Is it good, Daniel?'' Riley asked him. He just nodded so I stepped on his foot.
''It's great. Thank you.'' He smiled. Riley's eyes glistened with happiness. I smiled seeing her happy. Daniel furrowed his eyebrows at me and all I did was narrow my eyes at him. He will learn how to love his sister in any way.

''Wash the dishes.'' I said to him when we finished. I pulled Riley before she protested against my words. We got upstairs far from him.
''You should go get rest. It must be tiring all of this.'' I smiled. She nodded her head and hugged me.
''Thank you.'' She said.

I went inside our room and went to take a shower. I got ready for my job. My shift was starting soon, but I still had time until that. When I got out of the closet, Daniel entered the room. I locked my eyes with him as he approached me.

''Why are you ignoring me? We were fine this morning.'' He said.
''When you stop hating on your sister then I might change my mind.'' I hissed.
''I don't hate my sister. Where did you get these ideas?'' He slightly shouted. I could feel that he was highly irritated.
''If you love your sister, you would be kind to her and not push her away. What kind of a brother are you?''

He pushed his fingers through his hair looking frustrated.
''I really don't want to fight with you. I don't have the nerves for that. So please go to work.'' He said and went inside the bathroom, slamming the door in the process. I was actually hurt with his words, but I know he gets easily irritated and angry. It's useless to pick a fight with him and I don't want to waste my energy on him.

Don't forget to vote!